Cisco 837 Software IOS upgrade

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Richard Lane, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Richard Lane

    Richard Lane Guest

    Gday

    I have a Cisco 827 which I intend to use in conjunction with a PIX 501
    to provide a VPN network from headoffice to a remote location.

    The 827 is an earlier machine which has an early IOS system software.

    My question is, how do I upgrade the software and what actually am I
    upgrading? Looking on the cisco website made me quite dizzy from all
    the options...

    The sho ver tells me this

    adslrtr#sho ver
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software542), with hardware
    revision 0000
    IOS (tm) C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(5)YB4, EARLY
    DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
    Compiled Tue 03-Jul-01 18:18 by ealyon
    Image text-base: 0x80013170, data-base: 0x80672A1C

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(1r)XE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    ROM: C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(5)YB4, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
    RELEASE SOF
    TWARE (fc1)

    adslrtr uptime is 2 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c820-y6-mz.121-5.YB4"

    CISCO C827 (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x701) with 15360K/1024K
    bytes of memor
    y.
    Processor board ID JAD0543093E (2220698542), with hardware revision
    0000
    CPU rev number 5
    Bridging software.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 ATM network interface(s)
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    adslrtr#
    Any help would be appreicated.

    Richard Lane, Feb 4, 2005

  2. You can upgrade only to version 12.2, but not to version 12.3 which
    requires the newer 827 which supports 48MB DRAM.

    X--Eliminator, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Richard Lane

    BradReeseCom Guest

    Hi Richard,

    You may wish to investigate the Cisco IOS Planner:

    http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosplanner.cgi?majorRel=

    The Cisco IOS Planner allows you more flexibility to browse for your
    preferred software. You can view all major releases, all platforms, and
    all software features from a single interface. Choosing a platform, a
    maintenance release, or software feature will automatically limit the
    other menu choices based on your selection, until you arrive at your
    preferred software.

    Cisco IOS Security Advisories: Cisco recommends that you read all
    posted Security Advisories to ensure your release is not affected
    and/or to provide you with the Software solutions... More Info

    Note: To download 12.0 and older releases, please select "Library".

    Narrow your choices by choosing a major release.
    12.3 12.2 12.1
    Library

    Select options from the table below to find the software you want:

    Choose Options
    Select Platform Select Release Select Software Feature Set
    350WIRELESSACCESSPOINT
    827H
    827-4V
    10000-PRE1
    10000-PRE2
    1003-1004
    1005
    1100WIRELESSACCESSPOINT
    1130WIRELESSACCESSPOINT
    1200WIRELESSACCESSPOINT
    1310WIRELESSBRIDGE
    1400
    1410WIRELESSBRIDGE
    1601-1604
    1601R-1605R
    1751-V
    2500FRAD
    2501-2525
    25FX
    2610-2613
    2610XM-2611XM
    2620-2621
    2620XM-2621XM
    2650-2651
    2650XM-2651XM
    2651XM
    3201-WMIC
    3640A
    4000-M
    4500
    4500-M/4700/4700-M
    4700
    6400-NRP-1
    6400-NRP-2SV
    6400-NSP
    7304-NPE-G100
    7304-NSE-100
    7600-CMM
    7600-MWAM
    7600-SUP2/MSFC2
    7600-SUP720/MSFC3
    8850RPM-PR
    8850RPM-XF
    AS5200
    AS5300
    AS5350
    AS5400
    AS5400HPX
    AS5800
    AS5850-ERSC
    AS5850-RSC
    CAT2900XL-ATM
    CAT2940
    CAT2950
    CAT2950LRE
    CAT2955
    CAT2970
    CAT3550
    CAT3560
    CAT3750
    CAT3750-METRO
    CAT4000-AGM
    CAT4000-SUP2-PLUS
    CAT4000-SUP3
    CAT4000-SUP4
    CAT4000-SUP5
    CAT4224
    CAT4500-SUP2-PLUS-TS
    CAT4500-SUP5-10GE
    CAT4948
    CAT5000-ATM
    CAT5000-RSFC
    CAT5000-RSM
    CAT6000-ATM
    CAT6000-CMM
    CAT6000-MSFC
    CAT6000-MSFC2
    CAT6000-MSFC3
    CAT6000-MWAM
    CAT6000-SUP1/MSFC1
    CAT6000-SUP1/MSFC2
    CAT6000-SUP2/MSFC2
    CAT6000-SUP720/MSFC3
    CAT8510CSR
    CAT8510MSR
    CAT8540CSR
    CAT8540MSR
    CVA120
    CVA120CVC
    DISTRIBUTEDDIRECTOR2501/2502
    DISTRIBUTEDDIRECTOR4700M
    IAD2420
    IAD2430
    IAD2431-IAD2432
    ICS7700
    IGX8400-URM
    LS1010
    MC3810
    MWR1900
    NI2-6015
    NI2-6100
    NI2-6130
    NI2-6160
    NI2-6260
    ONS15104
    ONS15454-ML100-12T
    ONS15454-ML1000-2
    ONS15530
    ONS15540
    SB101
    SB106
    SB107
    SLT
    SOHO71
    SOHO76
    SOHO77
    SOHO77H
    SOHO78
    SOHO91
    SOHO96
    SOHO97
    UBR10K-PRE1
    UBR10K-PRE2
    UBR7100
    UBR7200
    UBR900
    UBR905
    UBR905CVC
    UBR910
    UBR920
    UBR925
    UBR925CVC
    VG200
    VG224

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide
    United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
    U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    Website: http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm

    BradReeseCom, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Richard Lane

    Richard Lane Guest

    Gday

    Thanks for the replies so far. I have checked out the website and it
    certainly looks a little easier to understand. Just one last question
    though...

    How do i tell if I have any options in my 827. I gather in the sho ver
    that a hardware revision of 0000 means it is the first model released.
    How do you then know that it will only support an earlier version due
    to memory requirments? Does this then mean I should be looking for a
    general or limited deployment. I am a bit of a novice with software
    updates for ciscos.

    I intend to use the 827 in bridge mode with authentication to talk to
    a PIX501 which will handle access-lists, etc.

    Rich

    Richard Lane, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Richard Lane

    X-Eliminator Guest

    When you go to the Cisco website to download IOS, it tells you the
    DRAM & memory requirements. All the IOS for ver 12.3 require 48/12 of
    DRAM/memory. If you download the images for ver 12.2 then it will show
    the requirement of 32/8. It.s not a question of general or limited
    deployment. The older routers CANNOT be upgraded to 48 MB DRAM.

    X-Eliminator, Feb 7, 2005
  6. X-Eliminator <> wrote:

    > When you go to the Cisco website to download IOS, it tells you the
    > DRAM & memory requirements. All the IOS for ver 12.3 require 48/12 of
    > DRAM/memory. If you download the images for ver 12.2 then it will show
    > the requirement of 32/8. It.s not a question of general or limited
    > deployment. The older routers CANNOT be upgraded to 48 MB DRAM.

    Not entirely correct:

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/800/800up
    grd.htm

    Arnoud

    --
    Please use my first and last name in the address & remove '.invalid'
    Mijn voor- en achternaam gebruiken in het adres zonder '.invalid'

    Arnoud Helmantel, Feb 8, 2005
  7. Richard Lane

    X-Eliminator Guest

    Re: Re: Cisco 837 Software IOS upgrade

    That's a good link, but if you go back and look at his question then
    you will see that according to the DRAM table in the link, the max
    DRAM that he can put onto the 827 is 32MB. He didn't say that he has
    the newer 827 which can be expanded to 48MB DRAM which is required by
    the 12.3 IOS images.

    X-Eliminator, Feb 10, 2005
  8. X-Eliminator <> wrote:

    > That's a good link, but if you go back and look at his question then
    > you will see that according to the DRAM table in the link, the max
    > DRAM that he can put onto the 827 is 32MB. He didn't say that he has
    > the newer 827 which can be expanded to 48MB DRAM which is required by
    > the 12.3 IOS images.

    > On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:08:45 +0100, lid
    > (Arnoud Helmantel) wrote:
    >
    > >X-Eliminator <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> When you go to the Cisco website to download IOS, it tells you the
    > >> DRAM & memory requirements. All the IOS for ver 12.3 require 48/12 of
    > >> DRAM/memory. If you download the images for ver 12.2 then it will show
    > >> the requirement of 32/8. It.s not a question of general or limited
    > >> deployment. The older routers CANNOT be upgraded to 48 MB DRAM.

    > >Not entirely correct:
    > >
    > >http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/800/800up
    > >grd.htm
    > >
    > >Arnoud

    Oh, right, I didn't read careful enough... Judging by the topic I
    thought we were still talking about an early 837... Nevermind my
    ramblings :)

    Arnoud

    Arnoud Helmantel, Feb 10, 2005
  9. Richard Lane

    Spiff59

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    12.3 runs fine on an 827.

    This is an old thread, but since it still comes up second from the top on a google search of "827 IOS memory", I thought I'd correct the record.

    My 827H (bootstrap ver 12.2) is maxed at 32/8 memory and I've made the following conversions without a glitch:
    First, from:
    c820-oy6-mz.122-4.YA2.bin
    to:
    c820-oy6-mz.122-4.YA11.bin
    and now, to:
    c820-k9osy6-mz.123-15.bin

    The coolest thing is that CRWS (3.3.0.31), which I'd always thought failed due to java problems, runs fine with the 12.3 IOS.

    Here's some "show ver" data:

    IOS (tm) C820 Software (C820-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.3(15), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Compiled Wed 25-May-05 07:26 by ssearch
    Image text-base: 0x80013148, data-base: 0x80AA68F8

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(4r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    ROM: C820 Software (C820-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.3(15), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

    xxxxxxxx uptime is 1 hour, 23 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload
    System image file is "flash:c820-k9osy6-mz.123-15.bin"
    CISCO C827H (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x205) with 31744K/1024K bytes of memo
    ry.
    Processor board ID xxxxxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxxxx), with hardware revision F503
    CPU rev number 5
    Bridging software.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 ATM network interface(s)
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    Cisco's IOS Configurator clearly shows that 12.3 runs fine on a 32MB 827/827h. A 48MB 827-4V, 837 or newer router is NOT required.

    Spiff59, Jul 30, 2007
  10. Richard Lane

    jawid

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Does anyone know what privilage level you need to download this?
    Comes up with this for me:

    --------------
    Forbidden File or Application
    The file or application you are trying to access may require additional entitlement or you are trying to access a file with an invalid name. Additional entitlement levels are granted based on a users relationship with Cisco on a per-application basis.

    If you feel you have reached this page in error, please try one of the following methods to locate your document:

    If you are manually entering the URL into your browser location bar, be sure to include the file name of the page you are trying to access (file names typically end in .htm, .html or .shtml).
    Use the Search feature located in the upper right section of this page.
    Return to the Cisco.com Home or select a primary site area from the top navigation bar.
    Consult with your Cisco Account Manager to confirm you have the appropriate entitlement to access this page.
    If you would like to contact someone about this problem, please click on the Contacts & Feedback link below.

    If anyone has the IOS images handy, could someone please upload it somewhere?

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks.

    jawid, Mar 28, 2008