Cisco 837 bizarre behavior

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kapamarou, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Kapamarou

    Kapamarou Guest

    Hi everyone,

    in a small test lab we are running a 837 connected to a DSL line and a Win
    2003 server which seems to work fine. We are currently toying with various
    access lists in order to make it as bullet-proof as possible and after
    playing around I think we are getting there...

    The only problem is occurring when we use some applications that connect to
    a certain port (apps have similar structure to popular peer to peer apps).
    This port is NATted straight in the server and that port is allowed in the
    access list. The problem is that every 10-15 minutes we receive a "Network
    connection unplugged" error from the 2003 machine and the router appears to
    be resetting itself somehow. (I.e. cannot browse anything for 2-3 minutes)

    What can I log in order to see what is causing this? I have a small theory
    that the memory might be getting full and causing this but we need to prove
    it...

    Many thanks in advance,

    Kapa

    Kapamarou, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Kapamarou

    voipguy Guest

    "Kapamarou" <> wrote in message news:<JbTHb.108$-net.net>...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > in a small test lab we are running a 837 connected to a DSL line and a Win
    > 2003 server which seems to work fine. We are currently toying with various
    > access lists in order to make it as bullet-proof as possible and after
    > playing around I think we are getting there...
    >
    > The only problem is occurring when we use some applications that connect to
    > a certain port (apps have similar structure to popular peer to peer apps).
    > This port is NATted straight in the server and that port is allowed in the
    > access list. The problem is that every 10-15 minutes we receive a "Network
    > connection unplugged" error from the 2003 machine and the router appears to
    > be resetting itself somehow. (I.e. cannot browse anything for 2-3 minutes)
    >
    > What can I log in order to see what is causing this? I have a small theory
    > that the memory might be getting full and causing this but we need to prove
    > it...
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Kapa

    It sounds like your router is crashing.
    Try setting the configuration register to 0x0 so the router won't
    automatically reboot. If it's crashing,the router will return
    to the rommon prompt. Enter "sysret" to get stack information
    and cause code for the crash.

    You can set the router back to 0x2102 to restort auto boot.

    If you think it's a memory problem, issue "show proc mem" periodically
    and check the free memory count. If there's a leak, you'll see
    the free memory gradually getting smaller.

    Voipguy

    voipguy, Dec 30, 2003

  3. "Kapamarou" <> wrote in message

    > The only problem is occurring when we use some applications that connect

    > a certain port (apps have similar structure to popular peer to peer apps).
    > This port is NATted straight in the server and that port is allowed in the
    > access list. The problem is that every 10-15 minutes we receive a "Network
    > connection unplugged" error from the 2003 machine and the router appears

    > be resetting itself somehow. (I.e. cannot browse anything for 2-3 minutes)

    Are you using ip nat translation max-entries? I had problems as you
    describe using this (at least thats my current theory, and it's been fine
    since I stopped using it).

    What version of IOS are you using and what was the address of the SegV? (You
    can find these on the first page of show ver).

    Richard.

    Richard Antony Burton, Jan 5, 2004