    supposed to be used only for the management of the router itself?

    bests,
    max

    Max Lungarella, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Max Lungarella

    Klaus Guest

    Hello,
    you can use any interface as you like ;
    the atm for adsl, the isdn for dialup/ddr or backupinterface;
    we are using on the atm to connect to adsl and the isdn to another small
    office ....
    kind regards
    Alex

    Klaus, Oct 29, 2003

  3. thanks a lot.
    ~max

    Max Lungarella, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Max Lungarella

    Andre Beck Guest

    (Max Lungarella) writes:

    > i know that the ISDN port of the cisco 836 (ADSL over ISDN router)
    > provides ISDN dial backup and out-of-band management. can this router
    > be also employed as an ISDN router?

    It appears to be a perfectly normal BRI interface you can tweak into
    everything you could tweak a 1603's BRI or a WIC-1B.

    > or is the dial backup feature
    > supposed to be used only for the management of the router itself?

    No, that is just marketing gibberish. In fact, dial backup is the
    one thing that is *NOT* supported fully in plain 12.3, as the
    "backup interface" command set is missing from the IP loads on the
    entire 8xx product line (yet feature navigator pretends it would be
    there). There appears to be a special feature set that contains it,
    though (in 12.3(something)XM or somesuch, it is even part of the IP
    load again).

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-

    Andre Beck, Nov 1, 2003