    FastEthernet ports on the 4 port switch built into the router. Any
    suggestions? Thank you.

    Tim

    trichter_cdg, Apr 27, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    trichter_cdg <> wrote:
    :I am trying to configure a Cisco Router 831 so that each port on the 4
    :port switch cannot see the other three ports, but rather, can only go
    :eek:ut to the Internet. Is this possible with this Cisco model?

    My recollection, possibly faulty, is that the best you can do
    is use one of the ports as a DMZ, and that requires fairly recent
    software.
    --
    Would you buy a used bit from this man??

    Walter Roberson, Apr 27, 2005

  3. The 83x has a simple, passive switch. The only options are setting/locking
    speed and/or duplex. No fancy filtering possible by port.

    Phillip Remaker, Apr 27, 2005
  4. trichter_cdg

    trichter_cdg Guest

    Well that is not good news. This router is being used in a 4 unit
    apartment. I wanted to separate the 4 apartments from seeing each
    other. Any recommendations on how to adapt my setup to keep the
    apartments from seeing each other? Seems likle I might have to buy
    additional hardware. I could get four cheap D-Link routers and put
    those between the Cisco router and the 4 individual units.

    Thanks for any advice you may have,

    Tim

    trichter_cdg, Apr 27, 2005
  5. In article <U2Ibe.1888$>,
    Phillip Remaker <> wrote:
    :The 83x has a simple, passive switch. The only options are setting/locking
    :speed and/or duplex. No fancy filtering possible by port.

    Hey, one of the rare occasions when I knew something that Phillip
    didn't ;-)

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123relnt/800/rn800xr.htm

    Table 2 Feature Set Table for the Cisco 831 Router

    Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) Port 12.3(7)XR1 IP FW/3DES IP PLUS FW/3DES

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet09186a008010e5c5.html

    One of the switch ports could be convertsed [sic] in to a DMZ port to
    place publicly accessible servers or to segregate users on the LAN
    --
    History is a pile of debris -- Laurie Anderson

    Walter Roberson, Apr 27, 2005
  6. trichter_cdg

    vtan Guest

    Get another switch that supports vlan tagging, and make 4 vlans.
    Link between the switch to the 831 using vlan trunking.

    vtan, Apr 28, 2005
  7. In article <d4pekm$5i5$>,
    vtan <> wrote:
    :Get another switch that supports vlan tagging, and make 4 vlans.
    :Link between the switch to the 831 using vlan trunking.

    Nice idea, but the 800 series doesn't support vlan trunking.
    --
    "[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave Smey

    Walter Roberson, Apr 28, 2005