    yet you cannot receive internet information or telnet into the router. Once
    you turn it off and on, it works again for about 4-5 hours. Any ideas on
    how to solve the problem?

    Kevin Harms, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Kevin Harms

    Peter Guest

    Hi Kevin,

    > We currently are using a Cisco 827 Router to connect our our Internet
    > provider. Lately, we have been having problems with the router suddenly not
    > being able to provide us access to the internet. The CD light is still on
    > yet you cannot receive internet information or telnet into the router. Once
    > you turn it off and on, it works again for about 4-5 hours. Any ideas on
    > how to solve the problem?

    Just to clarify, after 4-5 hours of apparently "normal" operation, you
    suddenly cannot access the internet (IE pass traffic through the
    router) or telnet TO THE ROUTER from the INSIDE.

    We need a bit more information, but here are a few questions to start
    -
    1. Does the Router Ethernet interface show as being UP (3rd LED from
    right should be ON)?
    2. What address are you trying to Telnet TO on the Router, the
    Ethernet address, or ATM or PPP (if it exists) address or a Loopback
    (if it exists) address? Part of this answer may depend on exactly how
    your 827 is configured.
    3. Have you tried using a serial port connection to the Router
    instead? If Serial works then the Router is alive but routing has
    stopped for some reason. If Serial is dead, then the Router has died
    (for whatever reason).

    Some possible suggestions -
    1. Obtain the IP address of the Ethernet Interface on the Router,
    and PING that address from a device on the SAME Ethernet segment. If
    that fails, then the Router has probably crashed... hard. If the
    Ethernet interface responds, then what has failed is probably your
    session between the Router and your ISP, and the next steps depend on
    how that is configured..
    2. Use the Cisco Console cable and connect to the router via its
    serial port. If this fails, then the Router has crashed.
    3. If you are able to set up the 827 to log all events to an
    external Syslog Server then that may give you clues as to what happens
    when it fails. Leaving a device connected and logged in (make sure it
    doesn't time out) to the Console Port should provide this as well.

    ---
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Kevin Harms

    Kevin Harms Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Kevin,
    >
    >> We currently are using a Cisco 827 Router to connect our our Internet
    >> provider. Lately, we have been having problems with the router suddenly
    >> not
    >> being able to provide us access to the internet. The CD light is still
    >> on
    >> yet you cannot receive internet information or telnet into the router.
    >> Once
    >> you turn it off and on, it works again for about 4-5 hours. Any ideas on
    >> how to solve the problem?

    > Just to clarify, after 4-5 hours of apparently "normal" operation, you
    > suddenly cannot access the internet (IE pass traffic through the
    > router) or telnet TO THE ROUTER from the INSIDE.

    That is correct, we cannot also log back into the router.

    > We need a bit more information, but here are a few questions to start
    > -
    > 1. Does the Router Ethernet interface show as being UP (3rd LED from
    > right should be ON)?

    Yes

    > 2. What address are you trying to Telnet TO on the Router, the
    > Ethernet address, or ATM or PPP (if it exists) address or a Loopback
    > (if it exists) address? Part of this answer may depend on exactly how
    > your 827 is configured.

    The Ethernet address

    > 3. Have you tried using a serial port connection to the Router
    > instead? If Serial works then the Router is alive but routing has
    > stopped for some reason. If Serial is dead, then the Router has died
    > (for whatever reason).

    No, we haven't done that. Will have to find the cable.

    Kevin Harms, Jul 25, 2005