cisco 827, configuration, routing multiple subnets - cosmetic problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Shawn, May 14, 2004.

  1. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    cisco 827
    IOS 12.3(6a)
    PPPoA

    My ISP provides me a /27 (x.x.x.192/28). I break this into two /28's.

    I have used a Cisco 678 for this purpose and all has worked fine.
    (sh int on the 678)
    IP Address Mask
    eth0 X.X.X.193 255.255.255.240

    vip0 X.X.X.209 255.255.255.240

    wan0 Physical Port: Trained

    Dest IP Address Mask
    wan0-0 [ISP GW IP] 255.255.255.255

    I am now setting up a cisco 827. I'm guessing that setting up a
    subinterface (e0.1) would help. However, I am unable to as it
    complains of requiring a VLAN config, and the router doesn't seem to
    support VLANs. (I haven't really tried, but I have a few ideas to try
    to 'force' this config...) Any known ways to get around this?
    Anyway, here is my 827 config:

    interface Ethernet0
    ip address X.X.X.209 255.255.255.240 secondary
    ip address X.X.X.193 255.255.255.240
    !
    interface ATM0
    no ip address
    no atm ilmi-keepalive
    dsl operating-mode auto
    pvc 0/32
    encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    dialer pool-member 1
    !
    !
    interface Dialer0
    ip unnumbered Ethernet0
    dialer pool 1
    dialer persistent
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0
    ! END
    --

    The 'problem'
    This WORKS (can pass/route traffic from either subnet). It appears

    On the Cisco 678 this wasn't the case. A traceroute from subnet A had
    the .193 IP and from subnet B had the .209 (and the next hop was my
    ISP on either).

    Again, this question being a cosmetic issue, I'm mostly looking for
    comment and insight. I (think that I) understand why this is occurring
    - routing will always use it's primary address for an interface. I am
    curious as to alternative configurations and/or background info
    relevant to this.

    Thanks!

    Shawn
    Shawn, May 14, 2004