cisco 806 router "management cable" pinouts

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Derek Shaw, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. Derek Shaw

    Derek Shaw Guest

    despite much reading of cisco documentation and a bunch of
    experimentation, I was unable to manufacuture a management cable for
    my client's screwed-up cisco 806 router. I could find no one in my
    city who would give me the time of day to borrow a cable ("sniff ...
    we don't deal with the soho stuff").

    So to save someone else buying a router on ebay before they know for
    sure if their router is completely bronked, here are the pinouts for
    part number 72-3383-01.

    This information is gathered from direct observation of the above part
    number, and confirmed by making a working management cable from a
    db9/rj45 adapter and a modified ethernet cable.

    DB9 RJ45
    (PC) (console)
    1 ----- Not connected
    2 ----- 3
    3 ----- 6
    4 ----- 7
    5 ----- 4
    6 ----- 2
    7 ----- 8
    8 ----- 1
    9 ----- not connected

    If you can build the above from "rolled" ethernet cable and an
    db9-rj45 converter as shown in the cisco documentation*, you're way
    cleverer than me.

    Make a note when you are wiring your custom RJ54 cable -- this is not
    a "reversible" cable -- one end must go in the db9-RJ45 adapter, and
    the other must go in the console port of the router.

    Another alternative is to buy a db9-rj45 adapter that is not yet
    "assembled". Then you could do the pinouts in the adapter to suit a
    standard ethernet cable. You'll have to figure that out yourself from
    the above and maybe some references like those following.

    * this is the adapter that is supposed to work with a "rolled" cable
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/14.html#topic12
    a.k.a. Cisco's "Cabling Guide for Console and AUX Ports" -- Document
    ID: 12223

    This is the adapter I would use if I was doing a second time, and I'd
    wire it to use a standard ethernet cable (cost was about 70 cents)...
    http://tinyurl.com/6trpb
    (the original URL for "DB9 FEMALE TO RJ45 8 CONDUCTORS"):
    http://linhaw.com/?page=shop/flypag...e&ps_session=8f3c173268c1177119ff38bdf65deb23
    Derek Shaw, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Derek Shaw

    PES Guest

    Derek Shaw wrote:
    > despite much reading of cisco documentation and a bunch of
    > experimentation, I was unable to manufacuture a management cable for
    > my client's screwed-up cisco 806 router. I could find no one in my
    > city who would give me the time of day to borrow a cable ("sniff ...
    > we don't deal with the soho stuff").

    Although this is soho stuff, the console cable is not. Anyone who told
    you that they didn't have a cable for the 806 because they didn't deal
    with soho stuff didn't deal with Cisco at all.

    PES, Nov 7, 2004