Cisco 803 ROMMON password

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by an, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. an

    an Guest

    >Hi,

    >I am trying a password-recovery procedure on a Cisco 803 router. But

    somehow, to my
    >surprise, someone has put an enable password in TinyRom. We can only list

    values, not
    >set them. So without the password we can't set the ios-conf to a different

    value to
    >proceed with password recovery.

    >Does anyone have a suggestion on removing a password from the BOOT

    envinroment??
    >SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same problem

    with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I can't
    change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you have
    any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
    doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"

    an, Jun 23, 2004

  2. an

    News Account Guest

    There is no such ROM command to set a password.

    Per Cisco, "Break (system interrupt) is always enabled for 60 seconds after
    the router reboots, regardless of whether it is set to on or off in the
    configuration register. During this 60-second window, you can break to the
    ROM monitor prompt by pressing the Break key."

    If you are seeing an additional password prompt then what you are seeing is
    most likely a "AAA" password without the "local" option to fall back on.
    Try "AAA new-model" in config mode - before or after you change the enable
    password in the recovery procedures.

    Don Woodward

    News Account, Jun 23, 2004

  3. an

    an Guest

    "News Account" <> wrote in message
    > There is no such ROM command to set a password.
    >
    > Per Cisco, "Break (system interrupt) is always enabled for 60 seconds

    after
    > the router reboots, regardless of whether it is set to on or off in the
    > configuration register. During this 60-second window, you can break to the
    > ROM monitor prompt by pressing the Break key."
    >
    > If you are seeing an additional password prompt then what you are seeing

    is
    > most likely a "AAA" password without the "local" option to fall back on.
    > Try "AAA new-model" in config mode - before or after you change the enable
    > password in the recovery procedures.
    >
    > Don Woodward

    Its not giving me a password prompt, it needs to be enabled at "root" level.
    Its when I try to enter enable it passwords me.

    This is all I get when I try. I need the prompt to be boot# to enter any
    commands at all.

    boot> set ios-conf
    ios-conf: failed, "permission denied"
    boot>

    an, Jun 23, 2004
  4. an

    127 Guest

    "an" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "News Account" <> wrote in message
    > > There is no such ROM command to set a password.

    Yes indeed there is with the 800 series, bottom of page D-2
    in the manual.

    NOTE Cisco does not recommend setting a ROM monitor password. The only
    situation
    which you should set a password is if you allow remote access via a modem to
    the ROM monitor.
    If you set this password, you will be in disable mode when you enter the ROM
    monitor and must
    enter the password if you want to enter enable mode. If you forget this
    password, you must contact the
    Cisco Technical Assistance Centre to recover it.

    Good luck doing that, as the "experts" basically tell you what Don Woodward
    has said here.

    127, Jun 23, 2004
  5. an

    News Account Guest

    "127" <> wrote in message

    > "an" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >
    > > "News Account" <> wrote in message
    > > > There is no such ROM command to set a password.

    > Yes indeed there is with the 800 series, bottom of page D-2
    > in the manual.

    Which manual?

    News Account, Jun 23, 2004
  6. an

    News Account Guest

    OK, here's what I found - there is no password command in ROM on the 837 or
    827 - but after further research, there appears to be one on some 800 series
    routers - I see on Cisco's site that the 805 has a password command in ROM.

    Not all 800 series are alike - the 806, 827 and 837 have a different
    password recovery procedure from the 801,802,803,804,805,811 and 813
    routers.

    Don Woodward

    News Account, Jun 23, 2004
  7. an

    Silvan Guest

    Hi,

    > SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same problem
    > with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I

    can't
    > change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you have
    > any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
    > doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"

    Well I still read this group with interest and was quite surprised to get a
    reply on this pretty old post.
    I will did not find an answer to the issue unfortunately.

    Many thanks,
    Silvan

    Silvan, Jun 24, 2004
  8. an

    an Guest

    "Silvan" <> wrote in message
    : Hi,
    :
    : > SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same
    problem
    : > with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I
    : can't
    : > change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you
    have
    : > any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
    : > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
    : > doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"
    :
    : Well I still read this group with interest and was quite surprised to get
    : reply on this pretty old post.
    : I will did not find an answer to the issue unfortunately.
    :
    : Many thanks,
    : Silvan

    It makes me so angry to think, that this basically makes the 803 an
    expensive piece of junk if this problem
    occurs. Did you actually set the password, or was it on by default?

    I'm 99% sure that with my router it was on by default.

    I'll post the results if I find an answer to this problem.

    :
    :

    an, Jun 26, 2004
  9. Hola an

    Look here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...ducts_password_recovery09186a00800942c2.shtml

    look here also
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...0/products_field_notice09186a00800940ec.shtml

    Saludos,
    Victor Cappuccio

    Victor Cappuccio, Jun 28, 2004
  10. an

    an Guest

    "Victor Cappuccio" <> wrote in message
    : Hola an
    :
    : Look here
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...ducts_password_recovery09186a00800942c2.shtml
    :
    : look here also
    :
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...0/products_field_notice09186a00800940ec.shtml
    :
    : Saludos,
    : Victor Cappuccio

    Hi Victor,
    I can't get to the above links.... its passwording me.

    Cisco passwords are driving me crazy, I can't use my router because of a
    password, I can't get to the above links because of another cisco password
    :(

    :
    :
    : "an" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    : > >Hi,
    : >

    an, Jun 29, 2004
  11. an

    an Guest

    "Victor Cappuccio" <> wrote in message
    : Hola an
    :
    : Look here
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...ducts_password_recovery09186a00800942c2.shtml
    :
    : look here also
    :
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...0/products_field_notice09186a00800940ec.shtml
    :
    : Saludos,
    : Victor Cappuccio

    It can't be done as descibed in the above links, as I can't get to an
    enabled point at the "root" level.

    I think its time to bin the 803 and get a decent router.

    :
    :
    : "an" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    : > >Hi,
    : >

    an, Jun 29, 2004
  12. an

    Hansang Bae Guest

    > "Victor Cappuccio" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...0/products_field_notice09186a00800940ec.shtml

    In article <>, says...
    > I can't get to the above links.... its passwording me.

    In general, you can replace the word /customer/ to /public/ and most
    links will come up.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jun 30, 2004