Cisco 802.11a/b/g Card Problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by DCWhitty, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. DCWhitty

    DCWhitty Guest

    I have the Cisco 802.11a/b/g Cardbus PC card for my laptop. I cannot get to
    the Internet or my network with this card. I can connect to my access point
    (Senao NL-3054CB3+), but that is as far as I get. The Cisco desk utility
    keeps saying that the card's IP address is 0.0.0.0, no matter if I set the
    WAP to visible or invisible. The only place I can manually set the card's IP
    is in Windows (running Win2000), but the Cisco utility still sees all zeros
    for the IP (and using Windows 2000 alone will not allow me to set the
    encryption (unless there is a patch that I'm missing)). I am using WEP 128
    bit pre-shared keys, open authentication. I've played with DNS and DHCP on
    my router, the WAP, Windows, etc. Brick wall!!

    Anyone have any luck with this card? I hope that there is something simple
    and stupid that I'm overlooking. I heard that the utility for the Aironet
    352 was pretty decent. I'm only running 802.11b, so I don't have a problem
    using an older utility as long as it works. Is there a third party utility
    that gives you good control over the settings of these triband cards? I
    bought this card to give me a little more range over my Orinoco Gold. But
    right now, this Cisco is looking like Roy Jones after his last fight!

    Any help would be appreciated.

    DCWhitty
    DCWhitty, Oct 2, 2004

  2. I see in your post to the wireless newsgroup that you got this working
    using WPA-PSK. I don't know why you would have had any problem with
    128bit WEP, but in any case WPA-PSK is better, so if all of your devices
    support it, I'd stick with it.

    I do recommend upgrading to the most recent software for the CB21AG card,
    Install Wizard 1.2.04. See http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet_firmware_CB21AG .

    Regards,

    Aaron

    ---

    ~
    Aaron Leonard, Oct 4, 2004

  3. DCWhitty

    DCWhitty Guest

    "Aaron Leonard" <> wrote in message
    > I see in your post to the wireless newsgroup that you got this working
    > using WPA-PSK. I don't know why you would have had any problem with
    > 128bit WEP, but in any case WPA-PSK is better, so if all of your devices
    > support it, I'd stick with it.
    >
    > I do recommend upgrading to the most recent software for the CB21AG card,
    > Install Wizard 1.2.04. See

    http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet_firmware_CB21AG .

    > Regards,
    >
    > Aaron
    >
    > ---
    >
    > ~ I have the Cisco 802.11a/b/g Cardbus PC card for my laptop. I cannot get

    > ~ the Internet or my network with this card. I can connect to my access

    point
    > ~ (Senao NL-3054CB3+), but that is as far as I get. The Cisco desk utility
    > ~ keeps saying that the card's IP address is 0.0.0.0, no matter if I set

    the
    > ~ WAP to visible or invisible. The only place I can manually set the

    card's IP
    > ~ is in Windows (running Win2000), but the Cisco utility still sees all

    zeros
    > ~ for the IP (and using Windows 2000 alone will not allow me to set the
    > ~ encryption (unless there is a patch that I'm missing)). I am using WEP

    128
    > ~ bit pre-shared keys, open authentication. I've played with DNS and DHCP

    on
    > ~ my router, the WAP, Windows, etc. Brick wall!!
    > ~
    > ~ Anyone have any luck with this card? I hope that there is something

    simple
    > ~ and stupid that I'm overlooking. I heard that the utility for the

    Aironet
    > ~ 352 was pretty decent. I'm only running 802.11b, so I don't have a

    problem
    > ~ using an older utility as long as it works. Is there a third party

    utility
    > ~ that gives you good control over the settings of these triband cards? I
    > ~ bought this card to give me a little more range over my Orinoco Gold.

    But
    > ~ right now, this Cisco is looking like Roy Jones after his last fight!
    > ~
    > ~ Any help would be appreciated.
    > ~
    > ~ DCWhitty
    > ~

    Aaron,

    I dunno what the problem was with the 128-bit WEP on the Cisco. Disabled the
    WEP and it worked. Reenabled it and the card got funky again. I am using the
    latest software for the Cisco. I am returning the card to the vendor for
    another one (the packaging was ridiculously poor, so I can't rule out that
    the card may have been damaged in transit). We'll see what happens when the
    new one arrives.

    I might just try the Cisco in another laptop before I ship it back (I have
    two Compaqs - one Armada and one Presario). Maybe I'll have better luck with
    the other machine.

    As for the WPA-PSK, I would prefer to use it. But my signal drops off in the
    room where I will be using the laptop, so this is not good. But I don't want
    to go to 40-bit WEP or no encryption at all, just to get a good signal. I'm
    gonna move the AP around and see if the signal improves. I'm still wondering
    if there is a problem with that card. Again, we'll see in a few days.

    DCWhitty
    DCWhitty, Oct 5, 2004
  4. On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:47:03 GMT, "DCWhitty" <> wrote:

    ~ I dunno what the problem was with the 128-bit WEP on the Cisco. Disabled the
    ~ WEP and it worked. Reenabled it and the card got funky again. I am using the
    ~ latest software for the Cisco. I am returning the card to the vendor for
    ~ another one (the packaging was ridiculously poor, so I can't rule out that
    ~ the card may have been damaged in transit). We'll see what happens when the
    ~ new one arrives.

    Sounds like something might be physically wrong. The CB21AG should feel
    good and sturdy, just like the venerable PCM352.

    I am not aware of an compatibility problems in 128-bit WEP with the CB21AG
    however (and I work quite closely with this product.)

    ~ I might just try the Cisco in another laptop before I ship it back (I have
    ~ two Compaqs - one Armada and one Presario). Maybe I'll have better luck with
    ~ the other machine.
    ~
    ~ As for the WPA-PSK, I would prefer to use it. But my signal drops off in the
    ~ room where I will be using the laptop, so this is not good. But I don't want
    ~ to go to 40-bit WEP or no encryption at all, just to get a good signal. I'm
    ~ gonna move the AP around and see if the signal improves. I'm still wondering
    ~ if there is a problem with that card. Again, we'll see in a few days.
    ~
    ~ DCWhitty

    I would not anticipate that the encryption scheme used would have
    any effect on the signal strength.

    Regards,

    Aaron
    Aaron Leonard, Oct 5, 2004
  5. ~ On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:47:03 GMT, "DCWhitty" <> wrote:
    ~
    ~ ~ I dunno what the problem was with the 128-bit WEP on the Cisco. Disabled the
    ~ ~ WEP and it worked. Reenabled it and the card got funky again. I am using the
    ~ ~ latest software for the Cisco. I am returning the card to the vendor for
    ~ ~ another one (the packaging was ridiculously poor, so I can't rule out that
    ~ ~ the card may have been damaged in transit). We'll see what happens when the
    ~ ~ new one arrives.
    ~
    ~ Sounds like something might be physically wrong. The CB21AG should feel
    ~ good and sturdy, just like the venerable PCM352.
    ~
    ~ I am not aware of an compatibility problems in 128-bit WEP with the CB21AG
    ~ however (and I work quite closely with this product.)

    Update on this ... we have found a problem when using static WEP
    if you are using the CB21AG in a laptop that uses an O2Micro
    Cardbus controller. This is CSCef75506, not yet fixed, although you
    may be able to get a driver with a test fix if you open a TAC case.
    (Reference DDTS CSCef75506.)

    Regards,

    Aaron
    Aaron Leonard, Oct 7, 2004