    Many Thanks

    John Geddes
    England
    John Geddes, May 25, 2004

  2. John Geddes

    jt Guest

    Hi John,

    without solid CLI knowledge you're lost.

    Please post the config here, will see if I can get you started.

    Daniel

    jt, May 25, 2004

  3. John Geddes

    jt Guest

    Apparently the box fails to bring up the fresh
    running-config, perhaps some issue with the configuration
    register ?

    jt, May 25, 2004
  4. John Geddes

    AnyBody43 Guest

    "jt" <> wrote
    > Apparently the box fails to bring up the fresh
    > running-config, perhaps some issue with the configuration
    > register ?
    >

    > "jt" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Hi John,
    > >
    > > without solid CLI knowledge you're lost.
    > >
    > > Please post the config here, will see if I can get you started.
    > >
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > > "John Geddes" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > I've bought a second-hand 801 to install for a charity's office.
    > > >
    > > > I managed to reset passwords, and have run FastStep - apparently quite
    > > > happily: it reports all the testing OK, and immediately after running
    > > > FastStep, I can ping the 801 OK. But if I then switch it off and on
    > > > again, it fails to ping (and won't telnet either).
    > > >
    > > > Am I missing something in FastStep, or might I have a dud specimen?
    > > >
    > > > Or can anyone point me to a listing of beginner-level steps that will
    > > > allow me to set up the 801 to sit on a simple local network, and dial
    > > > up single-channel to a set phone number (without fixed IP)?

    Thing is, in order to rest the password you have to tell the box to
    IGNORE the configuration. As already suggested the config register
    is most likely wrong.

    One bit (binary digit) is the Ignore config bit.

    0x2102 is good for most purposes.

    0x2142 (IIRC) causes the startup config to be ignored.

    Alternatively perhaps your config tool is not saving the config
    to the startup-config?

    One of the good things about (most) Cisco kit is that
    there are two configs. running-config and startup-config.
    This can be confusing for novices.
    AnyBody43, May 25, 2004