    Is this the best way to do it? Or are there better ways?

    Thanks

    C.S.Mager
    C.S.Mager, Oct 24, 2003

  2. On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:33:38 +0000 (UTC), C.S.Mager wrote:

    > I've already written about my router and the ICMP problem, but I have
    > one other query:
    >
    > On my old router, it acted as a sort of DNS relay. I added the
    > internal ip address of the router under the DNS server setting on the
    > clients, and the router relayed the requests to the name-servers given
    > by the ISP.
    >
    > I can add 'ip nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' to the router, but this
    > doesn't seem to do the same thing. The router can resolve names,
    > but it won't resolve names for my clients (If you understand what I
    > mean!). As a result, I've had to add the namservers of the ISP to the
    > DNS config on the clients.
    >
    > Is this the best way to do it? Or are there better ways?

    No that's the way to do it, a Cisco router does not act as a DNS server,
    the above configuration is only for the DNS resolver on the router.

    --
    Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456, FreeBSD committer
    Jesper Skriver, Oct 24, 2003

    ~
    ~ > I've already written about my router and the ICMP problem, but I have
    ~ > one other query:
    ~ >
[...]

    Sounds like C.S. wants the "DNS Spoofing" feature which is found in
    12.3(2)T. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123t/123t_2/gtdnsspf.htm

    Aaron
    Aaron Leonard, Oct 27, 2003