    Is there anything I can do about that?

    Thx in advance

    Steven

    Steven, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Steven

    Peter Guest

    Hi Steven,

    > I have a Cisco 857 router.
    >
    > It works perfectly, except for one small annoyance....
    > When I power it up. it synces the ADSL line.
    > But then, when line sync is archieved (ATM0) it waits
    > ~ 20-25seconds before it brings up my PPPoE/PPPoA login
    > (dialer)
    >
    > Is there anything I can do about that?

    Probably not.

    The ATM layer is managed by the DSLAM and only YOUR machine is
    connected to that port so that time is pretty much out of your
    control, however the PPP layer is handled by your ISP's Network Access
    Controller, and thats the part that really determines what delay is
    likely for PPP to be set up. Its my guess that the delay is mainly due
    to the time it takes for Authentication and Authorization to take
    place, and this is 100% in the ara of your ISP.

    About the only way to improve perfrmance is to stay connected...

    Cheers.................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Jan 3, 2008

  3. Steven

    1911

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Yep. Definitely the ISP

    Good advice peter.

    Router>DSL modem>ISP and back to the router.

    1911, Jan 3, 2008
  4. Steven

    Steven Guest

    On 4 Jan 2008 09:19:43 +1200, "Peter" <> wrote:

    >The ATM layer is managed by the DSLAM and only YOUR machine is
    >connected to that port so that time is pretty much out of your
    >control, however the PPP layer is handled by your ISP's Network Access
    >Controller, and thats the part that really determines what delay is
    >likely for PPP to be set up. Its my guess that the delay is mainly due
    >to the time it takes for Authentication and Authorization to take
    >place, and this is 100% in the ara of your ISP.
    >
    >About the only way to improve perfrmance is to stay connected...

    Hi there,

    Thanks for the reply.
    today it seemed faster, so it could be very well an ISP issue
    Anyway, thanks for the help

    *very happy with my C857 :)

    Next thing to experiment with: VPN capabilities ;)
    I never had a router before that could do VPN on its own (instead of
    pass-tru)

    Greetings,
    Steven

    Steven, Jan 4, 2008
  5. Steven

    Peter Guest

    Hi Steven,

    > Next thing to experiment with: VPN capabilities ;)
    > I never had a router before that could do VPN on its own (instead of pass-tru)

    Just in case you are to aware of it, to "test" VPN functionality
    remember that you need 2 END-POINTS for the VPN, that are configured
    as a matched pair.........;-) The actual END-POINT configuration for
    VPN termination really depends on what type of VPN you need/are using,
    IE BOTH ends of a VPN have to agree on how the VPN is to be set up.
    The main point to remember about the Cisco Router VPN is that it is
    for a SITE VPN, not a HOST VPN.

    I purchased my Cisco 827 many years ago, and while the version of IOS
    I am using allows for VPN termination on the Router, I have not yet
    had a need to configure a SITE specific VPN, as ALL the VPN
    connections that I need are all HOST based VPN's, IE they are direct
    to the device on the local LAN that needs to use the VPN. This mode of
    use requires no special VPN configuration on the Router, as the VPN
    profile being used at the VPN End Points allows for the NAT
    environment my Router is using.

    Cheers........................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Jan 5, 2008
  6. Steven

    Steven Guest

    On 5 Jan 2008 12:50:56 +1200, "Peter" <> wrote:

    >The main point to remember about the Cisco Router VPN is that it is
    >for a SITE VPN, not a HOST VPN.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply.

    I have managed to make a small virtual private dial up networking.
    (with windows pptp as client)
    If anywone needs the code here it is:
    Next thing to try: adding IPsec encrytion

    Greetings,
    Steven

    vpdn enable
    !
    ! standaard virtual private dial-up groep
    vpdn-group 1
    accept-dialin
    protocol pptp
    virtual-template 1
    !
    !
    ! This virtual interface is set up on the
    ! router for each connecting client PC
    interface Virtual-Template1
    ip unnumbered fastEthernet 0
    ip mroute-cache
    peer default ip address pool vpdn-ipadressen
    ppp encrypt mppe auto required
    ppp authentication ms-chap ms-chap-v2

    ip local pool vpdn-ipadressen 192.168.1.200 192.168.1.202

    Steven, Jan 8, 2008