Cisco 7940G with voip ??

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Psst, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. Psst

    Psst Guest

    Hello,
    i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
    an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
    line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
    with voip via my router/cable connection.

    My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
    menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
    padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
    unless im doing something wrong.

    The current firmware versions are as follows;

    Appload ID P00307020300
    bootload id PC0303010100
    version 7.2(3.0)

    My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
    the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
    installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
    all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
    root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
    be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.

    Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

    thanks

    joe

    Psst, Mar 11, 2007

  2. Psst

    TheMgt Guest

    Psst wrote:
    > Hello,
    > i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
    > an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
    > line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
    > with voip via my router/cable connection.
    >
    > My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
    > menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
    > padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
    > unless im doing something wrong.

    Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
    option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

    TheMgt, Mar 11, 2007

  3. Psst

    alexd Guest

    Psst wrote:

    > Hello,
    > i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
    > an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
    > line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
    > with voip via my router/cable connection.

    In at the deep end, eh? I wouldn't recommend a Cisco to a first time home
    user.

    > My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
    > menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
    > padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
    > unless im doing something wrong.

    Has the previous owner given you the relevant passwords?

    > The current firmware versions are as follows;
    >
    > Appload ID P00307020300
    > bootload id PC0303010100
    > version 7.2(3.0)
    >
    > My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
    > the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
    > installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
    > all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
    > root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
    > be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.

    Have you told your phone it needs to use your PC as a TFTP server? I had to
    change the options on my DHCP server to get my Mitel handsets to use the
    right TFTP server.

    > Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

    http://www.trixbox.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=3 People are often
    struggling with Ciscos in there.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:33:11 up 16 days, 22:45, 2 users, load average: 0.56, 0.42, 0.23

    alexd, Mar 11, 2007
  4. Psst

    Psst Guest

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:36:21 GMT, TheMgt <>
    wrote:

    >Psst wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
    >> an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
    >> line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
    >> with voip via my router/cable connection.
    >>
    >> My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
    >> menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
    >> padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
    >> unless im doing something wrong.

    >Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
    >option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

    Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
    password !

    Psst, Mar 11, 2007
  5. Psst

    TheMgt Guest

    Psst wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:36:21 GMT, TheMgt <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Psst wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
    >>> an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
    >>> line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
    >>> with voip via my router/cable connection.
    >>>
    >>> My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
    >>> menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
    >>> padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
    >>> unless im doing something wrong.

    >> Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
    >> option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

    > Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
    > password !

    What happens when you select 'Unlock Config' ?

    TheMgt, Mar 11, 2007
  6. Psst

    stephen Guest

    "Psst" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
    > an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
    > line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
    > with voip via my router/cable connection.
    >
    > My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
    > menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
    > padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
    > unless im doing something wrong.
    >
    > The current firmware versions are as follows;
    >
    > Appload ID P00307020300
    > bootload id PC0303010100
    > version 7.2(3.0)
    >
    > My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
    > the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
    > installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
    > all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
    > root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
    > be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.
    >
    > Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

    admin manual entry about erasing config (from an old version of the Call
    Manager manuals, so may not apply)
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._guide_chapter09186a00800b608b.html#wp1020895

    if that doesnt work - time to hunt the Cisco site a bit more.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Mar 11, 2007
  7. Psst

    Psst Guest

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:38:17 GMT, TheMgt <>
    wrote:

    >Psst wrote:
    >> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:36:21 GMT, TheMgt <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
    >>> option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

    >> Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
    >> password !

    >What happens when you select 'Unlock Config' ?

    There is no unlock config item in the menu...

    Psst, Mar 11, 2007
  8. Psst

    Chris Guest

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:52 +0000, Psst <>
    wrote:

    Can you keep us informed of progress, I intend to do this myself soon

    Chris

    Chris, Mar 12, 2007
  9. Psst

    Psst Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:09:35 +0000, Chris
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:52 +0000, Psst <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >Can you keep us informed of progress, I intend to do this myself soon
    >
    >Chris

    Well ive made one discovery already,,if i press in the latch button on
    the right hand side toward the top corner then enter **#, the padlock
    symbol opens for some functions.

    Psst, Mar 12, 2007