Cisco 7940 hook switch problems

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Jii, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Jii

    Jii Guest

    Hi,

    We are suspecting that some of our Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones have
    faulty hook switches (the switch underneath the handset).

    The problems shows looks like the switch is 'sticky' or vibrating.

    For the user, the problems seem like:
    - Calls disconnect when answering then, and then user gets new dial
    tone
    - When dialing and picking up the handset, call go to wrong number
    - It takes time for answering the call when picking up hanset (2-4
    secs)

    It seems like the problem shows up after about 3-4 months of usage.
    New phones rarely have this problem, but after awhile it shows up
    on all the phones.

    Has anybody else noticed these types of problems???

    -JJ

    Jii, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Jii

    Shaun Ewing Guest

    "Jii" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are suspecting that some of our Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones have
    > faulty hook switches (the switch underneath the handset).

    <snip>
    > Has anybody else noticed these types of problems???
    >
    > -JJ

    We've had the same problems with one of our 7960 handsets. I've also found
    that you can disconnect a call by tapping around the hookswitch region with
    the same handset or bumping the handset.

    One day it disconnected an important call and I'd had enough.. I pushed on
    the hookswitch hard with my finger - it hasn't done it since.

    -Shaun

    Shaun Ewing, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Jii

    Guest

    On 1 Oct 2003 06:25:16 -0700, (Jii) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >We are suspecting that some of our Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones have
    >faulty hook switches (the switch underneath the handset).
    >
    >The problems shows looks like the switch is 'sticky' or vibrating.
    >
    >For the user, the problems seem like:
    >- Calls disconnect when answering then, and then user gets new dial
    >tone
    >- When dialing and picking up the handset, call go to wrong number
    >- It takes time for answering the call when picking up hanset (2-4
    >secs)
    >
    >It seems like the problem shows up after about 3-4 months of usage.
    >New phones rarely have this problem, but after awhile it shows up
    >on all the phones.
    >
    >Has anybody else noticed these types of problems???
    >
    >-JJ

    I see this on phones mounted vertically. Cleaning the switch usually
    works for a few months. The Cisco article says tap the switch
    repeatedly as its supposed to be self cleaning.

    -Chris

    , Oct 3, 2003
  4. Jii

    Jii Guest

    Hi,

    I think we are also seeing the same effect on some of the most used
    buttons on the phones.

    Some users complain that the 'Headset' button is behaving similary
    erratic.
    Meaning that pressing the key, seems to have 0.5 - 2 second delay
    before anything happens.

    -JJ

    Jii, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Jii

    insmmi

    Joined:
    May 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Oregon
    Hook switch

    This thread is real old but I wanted to add my 2 cents. If you open up the phone remove the tension wire and try to straiten it then use an eraser to clean the contact points (both the surface and the carbon tip that makes the connection) the phone will last a long time more. What I need is to find a place to purchase the actual contact point rubber piece and the surface with the cable. If I can buy those pieces then I can save a lot of money fixing the phone rather then replacing.

    insmmi, May 9, 2007
  6. Jii

    Bruno_vv

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi, stupid question maybe, but how do you open the phone, without breaking it ? I'm having the same problem with 7960 phones, and would like to clean these switches.

    Bruno_vv, Apr 21, 2008
  7. Jii

    charles e

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    The problems is not in the contacts getting dirty but is a function of the wear in the hookswitch lever pivots. The switch MAKES contact when you lift the handset. My Colleague Brent Densmore here at the University of Guelph found that if you put a screw in the lever hole or glue a plastic dot to the lever so that it puts more pressure on the carbon dot when the handset is up you will solve this problem that has plagued Cisco phones for five or so years.
    & I think the chiefs at Cisco should give him a free weekend in San Francisco for resolving an issue that their own engineers and designers should have handled in the beginning

    charles e, Sep 5, 2008
  8. Jii

    RPaterson

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    While Charles solution may work, how many people are going to feel safe and secure using superglue on their hookswitch? At IdacomUSA, hookswitch pads that are redesigned to work properly are sold for 15 dollars. Or for 85 dollars, we will completely repair and refurbish your existing and broken Cisco Phones.

    Check us out at IdacomUSA.com

    RPaterson, Feb 18, 2009
  9. Jii

    IP Endpoints

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    If you are in the UK - we also offer a repair service - ipendpoints.co.uk and click the repair service tab at the top.

    IP Endpoints, Mar 10, 2009
  10. Jii

    User52

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hook Switch Problems

    After removing the stand, unscrew all 4 screws, you can lift off the back of the phone using a flathead screwdriver. You can then clean the hook switch contact with any moist towlette that is handy after you remove it. I actually use the end of the wire spring to reinsert the contact back into the tiny holes. Works like a charm. These phones accumulate dust and gunk easily.

    User52, Oct 20, 2009
  11. Jii

    shuggie

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    It's Still Happening

    I've been swapping phones out due to this issue from some time... 3 in the last week and found 3 others with the same problem....

    shuggie, May 13, 2010
  12. Jii

    DVarela

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Cisco Repairs

    We an actually repair that hook switch problem that those phones have. Please call me directly at 847-628-4235 for more information.

    DVarela, Aug 25, 2010