    Sincerely,

    Very Frustrated

    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    rmason, Feb 25, 2009

  2. rmason

    rmason

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Anyone there?

    Can anyone give me details regarding this issue? Much appreciated.

    rmason, Mar 6, 2009

  3. rmason

    evan

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Rmason,

    The 7600 (or do i mean 6500) is just a big ethernet switch with routing built in. The 6704 card you mentioned is a "LAN card" that does not have enhanced processing capabilities (you can do ethernet trunking/switching or routing on this, which really extends an internal vlan to your sup, see show vlan usage internal). You can accomplish VPLS on a 7600 by using either an ES20/ES40 card or a SIP with an ethernet SPA. The switching happens locally on these cards (using its network processor) by attaching an SVI to the VFI (Cisco speek for VPLS instance) to allow mac learning.

    evan, Mar 10, 2009
  4. rmason

    chads

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Rmason,

    Evan knows exactly what he is talking about, you should listen to him.

    ChadS

    chads, Mar 10, 2009
  5. rmason

    rmason

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Much Appreciated

    That is the kind of answer I was looking for. Does that mean that this card won't do VPLS even if I install DFC3BXL on the card? I understand that the DFC allows on-board processing instead of pushing everything to the SUP.

    Again, thanks for the information. I think we will be going with good old vlan trunking and spanning-tree until we can spend more money on equipment.

    rmason, Mar 10, 2009
  6. rmason

    evan

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Let me tell you a little secret - If its a "smallish" deployment, take a small crossover cable and connect it between 2 ports of the same card. configure one as an xconnect to the other node and the other port as a trunk port. (make sure the mtu is bigger than the largest frame from your dot1q trunk). Repeat on the other end. Let spanning-tree take care of loop-avoidance. There you go, poor man's VPLS.

    evan, Mar 11, 2009