Cisco 7204 with E3 => Interface Down

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mag, Nov 20, 2009.

  1. Mag

    Mag Guest

    Hi

    what is the best process for see where is the probleme ?

    i have a Cisco 7204 with NPE225, a PA-E3 and:

    C7204#sh interface Serial2/0
    Serial2/0 is down, line protocol is down
    Hardware is M1T-E3 pa
    Internet address is 172.20.2.221/30
    MTU 4470 bytes, BW 34010 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Restart-Delay is 0 secs
    Last input 2d05h, output 2d05h, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 3d00h
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    24 packets input, 1379 bytes, 0 no buffer
    Received 8 broadcasts (0 IP multicasts)
    0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    0 parity
    1 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 1 abort
    36 packets output, 2746 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 output errors, 0 applique, 7 interface resets
    13 carrier transitions
    rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS active
    txAIS inactive, rxRAI inactive, txRAI active

    the second 7204, same configuration, the serial are Up but protocol are
    down, but i see

    C7204-2#sh interfaces serial 1/0
    Serial1/0 is up, line protocol is down
    Hardware is M1T-E3 pa
    Internet address is 172.20.2.222/30
    MTU 4470 bytes, BW 34010 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Restart-Delay is 0 secs
    Last input never, output 00:00:02, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 2d23h
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 parity
    18 input errors, 18 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    25916 packets output, 626716 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 output errors, 0 applique, 9 interface resets
    19 carrier transitions
    rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS inactive
    txAIS inactive, rxRAI active, txRAI inactive

    he lost line are not same, on the first router, i have AIS in red

    thanks for your help
    Mag, Nov 20, 2009

  2. Mag

    Guest

    Hi,

    Are those interfaces connected together? Have you tried the "no shut"
    command on the s2/0 interface of C7204?

    Giorgos

    --

    NetPros Community
    Connecting IT Professionals from all over the World

    On Nov 20, 6:12 pm, Mag <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > what is the best process for see where is the probleme ?
    >
    > i have a Cisco 7204 with NPE225, a PA-E3 and:
    >
    > C7204#sh interface Serial2/0
    > Serial2/0 is down, line protocol is down
    >    Hardware is M1T-E3 pa
    >    Internet address is 172.20.2.221/30
    >    MTU 4470 bytes, BW 34010 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,
    >       reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    >    Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
    >    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    >    Restart-Delay is 0 secs
    >    Last input 2d05h, output 2d05h, output hang never
    >    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 3d00h
    >    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    >    Queueing strategy: fifo
    >    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    >    5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    >    5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    >       24 packets input, 1379 bytes, 0 no buffer
    >       Received 8 broadcasts (0 IP multicasts)
    >       0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    >                0 parity
    >       1 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 1 abort
    >       36 packets output, 2746 bytes, 0 underruns
    >       0 output errors, 0 applique, 7 interface resets
    >       0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
    >       13 carrier transitions
    >     rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS active
    >     txAIS inactive, rxRAI inactive, txRAI active
    >
    > the second 7204, same configuration, the serial are Up but protocol are
    > down, but i see
    >
    > C7204-2#sh interfaces serial 1/0
    > Serial1/0 is up, line protocol is down
    >    Hardware is M1T-E3 pa
    >    Internet address is 172.20.2.222/30
    >    MTU 4470 bytes, BW 34010 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,
    >       reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    >    Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
    >    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    >    Restart-Delay is 0 secs
    >    Last input never, output 00:00:02, output hang never
    >    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 2d23h
    >    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    >    Queueing strategy: fifo
    >    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    >    5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    >    5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    >       0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
    >       Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    >                0 parity
    >       18 input errors, 18 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    >       25916 packets output, 626716 bytes, 0 underruns
    >       0 output errors, 0 applique, 9 interface resets
    >       0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
    >       19 carrier transitions
    >     rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS inactive
    >     txAIS inactive, rxRAI active, txRAI inactive
    >
    > he lost line are not same, on the first router, i have AIS in red
    >
    > thanks for your help
    , Nov 20, 2009

  3. Mag

    Mag Guest

    Hi

    thanks for your help:

    The interface are Connected by a E3 34 Mbits Telephonica,
    and telephonica say that he don't see a problems.

    Yes, i have shut/no shut and today we have change the card
    without change

    bye
    mag

    Mag, Nov 20, 2009
  4. Mag <> writes:
    >thanks for your help:

    > The interface are Connected by a E3 34 Mbits Telephonica,
    >and telephonica say that he don't see a problems.

    > Yes, i have shut/no shut and today we have change the card
    >without change

    Standard telco troubleshooting would be put in hardware loopback
    (ie. connect Rx back to Tx) in the cabling to try to determine the
    problem.

    Ie. you can loopback facing your hardware at your telco demarc and make
    sure that your router can see the loop (the interface should come
    up/up and looped). This shows that your cabling and hardware are good
    enough to see the physical circuit up.

    You can loopback facing the telco at one location, and see if your
    far end can see it. If the far end can't see it, then ask the telco
    if *they* can see the loopback facing them. (they probably will have
    to get a CO technician to break into the circuit to see this).

    If they can't, then tell them that you are looping back to them at
    their handoff, and the problem is in their line and they need to come
    figure out where the break is and fix it.

    And you can repeat this procedure at the other end as well.

    You can also throw up loopbacks inside your router hardware, but I
    find this is not usually as reliable as doing cable loopbacks.

    I'd start at the end that was down/down not receiving anything,
    although it could be the transmit side of the far end receiving AIS.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 20, 2009
  5. Mag

    Guest

    The "interface down" may be caused by a physical layer issue, such as
    the cable or the interface itself. Since you already tried another
    interface, you should also check the cable as well.

    On the other router, C7204B, it's obvious something's wrong with the
    line protocol.

    Giorgos

    --

    On Nov 20, 7:33 pm, Mag <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > thanks for your help:
    >
    >         The interface are Connected by a E3 34 Mbits Telephonica,
    > and telephonica say that he don't see a problems.
    >
    >         Yes, i have shut/no shut and today we have change the card
    > without change
    >
    > bye
    > mag

    , Nov 20, 2009
  6. On Nov 20, 7:27 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > The "interface down" may be caused by a physical layer issue, such as
    > the cable or the interface itself. Since you already tried another
    > interface, you should also check the cable as well.
    >
    > On the other router, C7204B, it's obvious something's wrong with the
    > line protocol.
    >
    > Giorgos
    >
    > --
    >
    > NetPros Community
    > Connecting IT Professionals from all over the Worldhttp://netpros.freeforums.org
    >
    > On Nov 20, 7:33 pm, Mag <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi

    > > thanks for your help:

    > >         The interface are Connected by a E3 34 Mbits Telephonica,
    > > and telephonica say that he don't see a problems.

    > >         Yes, i have shut/no shut and today we have change the card
    > > without change

    > > bye
    > > mag

    Hi Mag,

    From the first box:
    C7204#sh interface Serial2/0
    Serial2/0 is down, line protocol is down
    <snip>
    13 carrier transitions
    rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS active
    txAIS inactive, rxRAI inactive, txRAI active

    Your upstream device is transmitting an Alarm Indication Signal - the
    PE, I guess, is having some problems. As a result, you're transmitting
    Remote Alarm Indication. Best thing to do here is gather 'sh
    controller e3 2/0' and see which counters are incrementing. Also, do a
    hard loop to see if the interface comes up.

    For the 2nd box:
    C7204-2#sh interfaces serial 1/0
    Serial1/0 is up, line protocol is down
    <snip>
    rxLOS inactive, rxLOF inactive, rxAIS inactive
    txAIS inactive, rxRAI active, txRAI inactive

    You're getting a Remote Alarm Indication from the remote device.
    Again, loop to see if your link comes up. Also do a barrel roll at the
    demarkation point for your E3.

    /Ruairi
    Ruairi Carroll, Nov 28, 2009