CISCO 678 syslog

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Anthony V. Ercolano, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. I have a CISCO 678. CBOS 2.4.6

    I am trying to have the syslog service on the CISCO send the log
    entries to a machine on the ethernet interface side of the CISCO.

    The machine to receive the log entries on this internal network is at
    address 10.0.0.11

    I CAN ping the address 10.0.0.11 from the CISCO.

    Other machines on the internal LAN can successfully send log entries
    to the 10.0.0.11 machine.

    I do the following at CISCO:
    cbos#set syslog remote 10.0.0.11
    SYSLOG will now send messages to 10.0.0.11

    cbos#set syslog enabled
    SYSLOG is enabled

    cbos#show syslog
    SYSLOG Configuration
    Currently Enabled
    Currently sends syslog information to 10.0.0.11
    Currently uses port 514

    cbos#set syslog test foo
    Message: "foo" sent via syslog

    If I do a show errors I see:
    9 000:00:21:33 SYSLOG Alarm Could not send message

    Also, no entry shows up in the log on 10.0.0.11

    Any thoughts on what I need to do to make this work?

    Please reply to the newsgroup.

    Thank you,
    Tony

    Anthony V. Ercolano, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Anthony V. Ercolano

    Nate Slater Guest

    Hello Tony,

    I'm having the same problem with my 678. So far I haven't been able to
    find anyone who knows anything about this issue. The following is a
    detailed account of my situation:

    I have a syslog server and a Cisco 678 (firmware 2.4.6) and am trying
    to make them work together. All my computers are conected to a switch
    behind the 678 running as a NAT router.

    The syslog server is running on a Mac OS X box (effectively FreeBSD
    4), and is configured to accept connections from any IP address on UDP
    port 514. The IP of this server is 10.0.0.17.

    Currently another OS X box (10.0.0.16) is sending all of its debug
    messages to my syslog server. It seems to be working as the following
    lines from my system.log show:
    Nov 17 17:12:23 10.0.0.16 /usr/libexec/fix_prebinding: fix_prebinding
    quitting for now.
    Nov 17 17:59:37 localhost authexec: executing /usr/bin/install

    However my 678 doesn't seem to be able to send messages to the server.
    I use the set syslog test command on the router to test this. The 678
    logs these attemps in its error log as follows:
    39 006:21:46:51 SYSLOG Alarm Could not send message

    The syslog configuration on the 678 is:
    SYSLOG Configuration
    Currently Enabled
    Currently sends syslog information to 10.0.0.17
    Currently uses port 514

    ....and the syslog stats read:
    Syslog Statistics
    Bytes Tx: 9 Messages Sent: 1
    Bytes discarded: 9 Messages Discarded: 1
    # of Resets: 0

    The relevent lines in my syslog.conf file are:
    *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv,remoteauth.none;mail.crit
    /dev/console
    *.notice;*.info;authpriv,remoteauth,ftp.none;kern.debug;mail.crit
    /var/log/system.log
    *.emerg *

    I've run strobe on my syslog server and it doesn't detect port 514 as
    open. But I don't know enough to know if that's normal. (netstat -a
    does list 514 but not in a listening state).

    I have watched the syslog messages from 10.0.0.16 to my syslog server
    with ethereal. However when I test the 678, I see no packets sent to
    my syslog server (aside from telnet chatter since I'm configuring the
    678 from my syslog server).

    Nate Slater, Nov 21, 2003