    Thanks
    Dilan
    , Aug 21, 2006

  2. Merv Guest

    on a 5002, the SUP goes in slot 1 and assuming have a line card module
    in slot 2 that would not a slot for the RSM
    Merv, Aug 21, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.

    >Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?

    Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.
    Walter Roberson, Aug 21, 2006
  4. Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.

    > >Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?

    > Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.

    Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002
    or is there another way?
    , Aug 22, 2006
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > Walter Roberson wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.

    > > >Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?

    > > Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.

    > Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002
    > or is there another way?

    I seem to recall that -

    If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
    MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
    external router doing the routing of the initial packets.

    This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
    ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
    L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
    is in current software.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a0080133fc5.shtml
    Updated: Aug 30, 2005

    "Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
    with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."

    This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
    need a router.

    "Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
    Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
    4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
    Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
    Catalyst 5000."
    , Aug 22, 2006
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Walter Roberson wrote:

    > > > Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.

    > > Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002
    > > or is there another way?

    > I seem to recall that -
    >
    > If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
    > MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
    > external router doing the routing of the initial packets.
    >
    > This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
    > ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
    > L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
    > is in current software.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a0080133fc5.shtml
    > Updated: Aug 30, 2005
    >
    > "Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
    > with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."
    >
    > This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
    > need a router.
    >
    > "Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
    > Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
    > 4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
    > Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
    > Catalyst 5000."

    BTW

    MLS is not even mentioned in the Feature(less) Navigator.
    However it is quite likely that the Feature(less) Navigator that is
    broken.
    , Aug 22, 2006
  7. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > > > Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002
    > > > or is there another way?

    > > I seem to recall that -
    > >
    > > If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
    > > MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
    > > external router doing the routing of the initial packets.
    > >
    > > This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
    > > ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
    > > L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
    > > is in current software.
    > >
    > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a0080133fc5.shtml
    > > Updated: Aug 30, 2005
    > >
    > > "Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
    > > with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."
    > >
    > > This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
    > > need a router.
    > >
    > > "Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
    > > Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
    > > 4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
    > > Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
    > > Catalyst 5000."

    > BTW
    >
    > MLS is not even mentioned in the Feature(less) Navigator.
    > However it is quite likely that the Feature(less) Navigator that is
    > broken.

    Sorry, realised that must be nonsense since Cisco call the current,
    different, L3 switching architecture MLS too.

    It's IP MLS.
    , Aug 22, 2006
  8. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > > > I seem to recall that -
    > > >
    > > > If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
    > > > MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
    > > > external router doing the routing of the initial packets.
    > > >
    > > > This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
    > > > ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
    > > > L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
    > > > is in current software.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a0080133fc5.shtml
    > > > Updated: Aug 30, 2005
    > > >
    > > > "Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
    > > > with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."
    > > >
    > > > This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
    > > > need a router.
    > > >
    > > > "Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
    > > > Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
    > > > 4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
    > > > Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
    > > > Catalyst 5000."

    > > BTW
    > >
    > > MLS is not even mentioned in the Feature(less) Navigator.
    > > However it is quite likely that the Feature(less) Navigator that is
    > > broken.

    > Sorry, realised that must be nonsense since Cisco call the current,
    > different, L3 switching architecture MLS too.
    >
    > It's IP MLS.
    , Aug 22, 2006
  9. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > > > I seem to recall that -
    > > >
    > > > If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do
    > > > MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small
    > > > external router doing the routing of the initial packets.
    > > >
    > > > This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit
    > > > ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by
    > > > L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it
    > > > is in current software.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a0080133fc5.shtml
    > > > Updated: Aug 30, 2005
    > > >
    > > > "Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III
    > > > with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."
    > > >
    > > > This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO//
    > > > need a router.
    > > >
    > > > "Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM),
    > > > Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,
    > > > 4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a
    > > > Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for #
    > > > Catalyst 5000."

    > > BTW
    > >
    > > MLS is not even mentioned in the Feature(less) Navigator.
    > > However it is quite likely that the Feature(less) Navigator that is
    > > broken.

    > Sorry, realised that must be nonsense since Cisco call the current,
    > different, L3 switching architecture MLS too.
    >
    > It's IP MLS.

    Feature Navigator says that 1841, 2691, 28xx, 36xx, 37xx, 38xx, and
    many bigger support MLS.
    , Aug 22, 2006
  10. brink Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.
    >
    > Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dilan

    from the product overview on CCO :

    "All switches, except the Catalyst 5002 switch, accept the Route Switch
    Module (RSM) "

    seems pretty clear. The same document will also tell you it will not
    support a supIII, but there are 2 versions of the 5002, one with and
    one without a PFC. Do a show module to see if you've got a PFC. If not,
    no intervlan routing. If yes, you could try using an external router,
    see "configuring intervlan routing"using an external router in the
    CatOS documentation. If you've got an external router to help out,
    using that as a router on a stick is probably easier.
    brink, Aug 23, 2006
  11. Guest

    brink wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.
    > >
    > > Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Dilan

    > from the product overview on CCO :
    >
    > "All switches, except the Catalyst 5002 switch, accept the Route Switch
    > Module (RSM) "
    >
    > seems pretty clear. The same document will also tell you it will not
    > support a supIII, but there are 2 versions of the 5002, one with and
    > one without a PFC. Do a show module to see if you've got a PFC. If not,
    > no intervlan routing. If yes, you could try using an external router,
    > see "configuring intervlan routing"using an external router in the
    > CatOS documentation. If you've got an external router to help out,
    > using that as a router on a stick is probably easier.

    Thanks everyone for their help.
    , Aug 23, 2006