    was not sure what the difference was?

    Many thanks in advance.

    , Oct 16, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Catalyst 5002 switch, with a group-switched 10BaseT ethernet
    >card. I'd like to have fast ethernet on this switch, so was thinking of
    >purchasing a new line card.

    >Am I correct in thinking that any 5000 series module will work with the
    >5002?

    No -- the product literature promised it would, but that's not
    what really happened.

    The 5002 does not support RSM, VIP2, or LightSTream 1010 ATM.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Catalyst 5002 switch, with a group-switched 10BaseT ethernet
    > >card. I'd like to have fast ethernet on this switch, so was thinking of
    > >purchasing a new line card.

    > >Am I correct in thinking that any 5000 series module will work with the
    > >5002?

    > No -- the product literature promised it would, but that's not
    > what really happened.
    >
    > The 5002 does not support RSM, VIP2, or LightSTream 1010 ATM.

    hmmm!

    It's been a while however.

    RSM makes little sense in a chassis that takes only one
    line card.

    VIP2 is/was a 7500 router thing

    Lightstream 1010 ATM was just that, not related to 5000.

    5002 is probably end of sale now but IIRC it was
    pretty much a normal 5000 and would take pretty much any
    5000 line cards.

    The limitation I guess would be the Supervisor that you have.

    I would guess that the EtherChannel modules that you mention
    are just that. Modules that support EtherChannel. Pretty much every
    current cisco switch supports EtherChannel but I suspect that this
    was not always the case.

    , Oct 16, 2006
  4. Hi Dilan,.

    WS-X5224-RF - Switched 10/100BaseTX Fast Ethernet Module

    272 units in stock

    WS-X5225R-RF - Switched 10/100BaseTX Fast EtherChannel Module

    103 units in stock

    Cisco EtherChannel Technology:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_white_paper09186a0080092944.shtml

    -------------------------------

    Data Sheet:

    Catalyst 5000, Ethernet and Fast Ethernet Switching Modules

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps679/products_data_sheet09186a0080092615.html

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power-supply-inventory.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Oct 16, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >Walter Roberson wrote:

    >> The 5002 does not support RSM, VIP2, or LightSTream 1010 ATM.

    >RSM makes little sense in a chassis that takes only one
    >line card.

    With the older supervisors, RSM was the only way to get Layer 3.

    >VIP2 is/was a 7500 router thing

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_2/layer3/cli.htm#wp9983

    "You can install the RSM/VIP2 combination in the Catalyst 5000, 5505, 5509, and 5500 chassis."

    >Lightstream 1010 ATM was just that, not related to 5000.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_4_4/config/atm_fab.htm

    The ATM fabric integration module seamlessly integrates the
    switching fabrics of a Catalyst 5500 switch and a LightStream
    1010 ATM switch installed in the bottom slots of the Catalyst
    5500 chassis.

    The module consists of one external LightStream 1010 OC-12 ATM
    interface and one internal interface to the LightStream 1010
    switching backplane. The external OC-12 ATM interface behaves
    exactly as any an OC-12 interface on a LightStream 1010
    port-adapter module (PAM).

    >I would guess that the EtherChannel modules that you mention
    >are just that. Modules that support EtherChannel. Pretty much every
    >current cisco switch supports EtherChannel but I suspect that this
    >was not always the case.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td...120newft/120limit/120xe/120xe7_1/fechan72.htm

    Note Using the Fast EtherChannel feature on a Catalyst 5000
    switch requires a hardware upgrade. Contact your local sales
    representative for upgrade details.

    Some of the line cards for the 5000 supported etherchannel and
    some of them didn't. I don't know what the nature of the hardware
    upgrade was, nor whether devices sold later had the upgrade already
    built in.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 17, 2006