    how would it connect to other switches?

    Many thanks.

    , Aug 30, 2006

  2. Merv Guest

    They are RJ-21 connectors which are a very common telco connector.

    They are used to a patch panel without having to use individual RJ45
    cables thus eliminating the usual cable clutterr seen with 24 or 48
    RJ45 cables plugged into an individual Catalyst module

    What is the module number ? Is is shown in the upper right hand corner
    of the module

    You can get octopus (hydras) cables that would fan the ports out to
    RJ45 connectors

    You would want to get RJ21 STRAIGHT MALE connectors in order to easily
    connect the cables to the modules's RJ21 female connectors. At the
    other end you probably want RJ45 female connector in order to take
    regular CAT 5 RJ45 cables.

    The key to getting the correct cable is to know how many ports are
    supported on each RJ21 connector AND they RJ21 pin out so that you can
    buy or have built the correct cables

    I have also seen "harmonicas" that can be attached to an RJ21 calbe
    that provides the desired fan out

    see http://www.stonewallcable.com/rj21_cables.asp?source=google
    for cable examples

    There are many compnies that can provide what you need

    Merv, Aug 30, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Cisco Catalyst 5002 switch that I purchased very cheaply to
    >play about with.

    If it has IOS then you might not have received the license to use the
    software -- IOS licenses are non-transferable.

    If it is CatOS, then the situation might be more complicated: the
    CatOS licenses on at least some of the devices used to be noticably
    different and (I believe, possibly incorrectly) allowed transfers.
    But I deduce that the newer CatOS merged license terms.

    Walter Roberson, Aug 30, 2006