Cisco 4500M with empty flash

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AlphaPi[jr], Sep 17, 2004.

  1. AlphaPi[jr]

    AlphaPi[jr] Guest

    Hi folks,

    Some days ago i bought two Cisco router, models 4000M and 4500 4500M
    both with corrupted flash (4 mega each).

    I'm able to recover the 4000M with tftp and now it run IOS 11.2, but
    with the 4500M is another thing.

    This the bootstrap message:

    System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(4) [kmac 4], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1994 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    Testing lower main memory - data equals address
    Testing lower main memory - checkerboard
    Testing lower main memory - inverse checkerboard
    Clearing bss
    Reading monitor variables from NVRAM
    Enabling interrupts
    Initializing TLB
    Initializing cache
    Enabling cache parity errors
    Reading cookie
    Initializing main memory ...
    Initializing shared memory ...
    Sizing NVRAM ...
    Exiting init
    C4500 processor with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

    rommon 1 >

    Now i try to boot:

    rommon 1 > boot
    device does not contain a valid magic number
    boot: cannot open "bootflash:"
    boot: cannot determine first file name on device "bootflash:"
    rommon 2 >

    As you can the router can't read the flash.
    But trying it in the 4000M it works well.

    So i tried to copy the ios image in the 4000M and then put the flash in
    the 4500M but it doesb't work. [But some people tell me that it might works]

    Any hint or help?

    Thanks,
    AlphaPi[jr]

    AlphaPi[jr], Sep 17, 2004

  2. AlphaPi[jr]

    micke Guest

    well the mini (rom) IOS is in EPROM in 4000 and I asume you used
    that piece of software to fix the IOS software in the 4000. The 4500
    uses a bootflash: for the mini IOS and a flash: for the IOS software.
    so if you dont have a bootflash or a flash immage in the 4500 with a
    4500 software you have 2 options if I remember right in my head.

    1. load the bootflash with a bootflash mini IOS software in a other
    system (it might work if you do this on a other model of a cisco
    router)

    2. supose you can use like xmodem software on your pc and download the
    code onto the bootflash from the console cable :) (its only about 2
    mb so its not that bad)

    /micke

    micke, Sep 17, 2004

  3. AlphaPi[jr]

    AlphaPi[jr] Guest

    micke wrote:
    > well the mini (rom) IOS is in EPROM in 4000 and I asume you used
    > that piece of software to fix the IOS software in the 4000. The 4500
    > uses a bootflash: for the mini IOS and a flash: for the IOS software.
    > so if you dont have a bootflash or a flash immage in the 4500 with a
    > 4500 software you have 2 options if I remember right in my head.
    >
    > 1. load the bootflash with a bootflash mini IOS software in a other
    > system (it might work if you do this on a other model of a cisco
    > router)

    This is what i'm trying to do :)

    > 2. supose you can use like xmodem software on your pc and download the
    > code onto the bootflash from the console cable :) (its only about 2
    > mb so its not that bad)

    Cisco 4000 series (also 4500M) doesn' support xmodem protocol in rommon :-\

    Thanks for the help,
    AlphaPi[jr]

    AlphaPi[jr], Sep 17, 2004
  4. AlphaPi[jr]

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>, micke414
    @icqmail.com says...

    #2 will not work on a 4500/4700 series. XMODEM is not available for the
    platform. You have to get the bootflash or IOS on the flash using
    another 45/4700.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Sep 20, 2004
  5. AlphaPi[jr]

    micke Guest

    ok

    well ask a friend to give you a used bootflash: how many do you need ?

    /micke

    micke, Sep 20, 2004