Cisco 4500m router. Trouble routing between inferfaces

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by NextLevel, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. NextLevel

    NextLevel Guest

    Hello ALL,

    I am trying to route between three interfaces on a 4500m router. Here
    is the senario;

    INT E0/0 IP: DHCP fm ISP NAT outside

    INT E1/0 IP: 192.168.2.1 NAT inside

    INT E2/0 IP: 192.168.1.1 Nat inside

    I can ping all hosts on both networks and am able to get to the
    internet from all host on both networks. What I can not do is see the
    other computers in Windows network neighborhood.

    The hosts I do see are only the hosts on that particualr network, ie;
    any host on 192.168.1.1 will see hosts only on that network and not on
    the 192.168.2.1 network and vice versa.

    I have enabled IP routing and what does not make sense to me is the
    fact that I can ping all hosts from any other host.

    Maybe some insight on this will help me out. I know I am missing
    something but what ?

    Thanks,
    Rick

    NextLevel, Aug 10, 2006

  2. NextLevel

    Merv Guest

    > I can ping all hosts on both networks and am able to get to the
    > internet from all host on both networks. What I can not do is see the
    > other computers in Windows network neighborhood.

    Windows network neighborhood info is carried via NETBIOS over TCP/IP.
    NETBIOS name advertisements are send to IP bradcast address
    255.255.255.255

    Load Ethereal unto one of your PC and you can see this NETBIOS name
    traffic

    IP broadcast traffic is NOT routed beyond the local IP subnet.
    Thus network neighbourhood will not function in a routed environment.

    1. implement WINS
    2. Use LMHOSTS file on each PC
    3. access resource via their IP address
    4. try configuring IP helper-address command to helper to
    directed-broadcast address on other segment

    Merv, Aug 10, 2006

  3. NextLevel

    NextLevel Guest

    Thanks Merv,
    That was the small piece of info I was missing. I guess I can
    configure WINS and see what that will do.

    Thanks again.......

    NextLevel, Aug 10, 2006