cisco 4000 +m router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rainfall, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Rainfall

    Rainfall Guest

    I aquired a cisco 4000 +M router with the following modules
    installed. FDDI module
    (two) np-2e ethernet modules

    When I boot the router :

    System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(7), SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems
    4000 processor with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

    --- System Configuration Dialog ---

    Refer to the 'Getting Started' Guide for additional help.
    Default settings are in square brackets '[]'.

    Configuring interface IP parameters for netbooting:

    Configuring interface Fddi0:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: n

    Configuring interface Ethernet0:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: n

    Configuring interface Ethernet1:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: n

    Configuring interface Ethernet2:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: n

    Configuring interface Ethernet3:
    Is this interface in use? [yes] n no usable interfaces

    The router then reboots and repeats the same sequence. I have entered
    ip addresses for the interfaces and again the router reboots.

    If I remove the modules the router it boots into "boot rom mode"
    router(boot)> at which point I am limited to few commands. There is no
    IOS installed on the router and the flash memory contains no files.
    I would like to load the flash with a IOS image using a tftp server
    but for the life of me can not figure out how to configure a ethernet
    port on the router.

    aA little new at this stuff, invested a few hours on the cisco site -
    still stuck.
    TIA
    Joe

    Rainfall, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Rainfall wrote:

    > The router then reboots and repeats the same sequence. I have entered
    > ip addresses for the interfaces and again the router reboots.

    How did you put IP addresses on it? That's not what you're showing here;
    the reason the box reboots is that you *didn't* bring up a single
    interface. You answered 'no' to 'Is this interface in use' for all
    interfaces.

    > I would like to load the flash with a IOS image using a tftp server
    > but for the life of me can not figure out how to configure a ethernet
    > port on the router.

    Answer 'yes' to the question for at least one interface, and it will
    start asking other questions, letting you put an IP address on it. It
    will then netboot the IOS image you specify, after which you can
    configure it further (including TFTP-ing the image to the flash).

    Regards,

    Marco.
    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Rainfall

    Rainfall Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:45:55 +0200, "M.C. van den Bovenkamp"
    <> wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I did assign ip addresses to the interfaces. For
    example:

    System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(7), SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems
    4000 processor with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

    --- System Configuration Dialog ---

    Refer to the 'Getting Started' Guide for additional help.

    Configuring interface IP parameters for netbooting:

    Configuring interface Fddi0:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: n

    Configuring interface Ethernet0:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: y
    Media-type 10BaseT or AUI? [10BaseT]:
    IP address for this interface: 172.127.0.1
    Number of bits in subnet field [0]:
    Class B network is 172.127.0.0, 0 subnet bits; mask is 255.255.0.0

    Configuring interface Ethernet1:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: n

    Configuring interface Ethernet2:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: n

    Configuring interface Ethernet3:
    Is this interface in use? [yes]: nNo usable interfaces

    boot
    The router then reboots and the screen repeats itself.. Its supposed
    to go into the appletalk sequence after it gives you the "Class b
    network..........." line.

    Since its going for a netboot there has to be some way to configure a
    ethernet port so it can see the tftp server.

    When I pull all of the modules out the router reboots about 4 times
    then this comes up:

    System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(7), SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems
    4000 processor with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

    Note: A random default MAC address of 0000.0c00.0d68 has been chosen.
    Ensure that this address is unique, or specify MAC
    addresses on commands (such as 'novell routing')
    that allow the use of this address as a default.No usable
    interfaces

    System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(7), SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems
    4000 processor with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

    Restricted Rights Legend

    Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

    cisco Systems, Inc.
    1525 O'Brien Drive
    Menlo Park, California 94025

    4000 Bootstrap Software (XX-RXBOOT), Version 9.14(7), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    Patchlevel = 9.1(11)
    Compiled Wed 18-May-94 05:07 by chansen

    Note: A random default MAC address of 0000.0c00.10e4 has been chosen.
    Ensure that this address is unique, or specify MAC
    addresses on commands (such as 'novell routing')
    that allow the use of this address as a default.
    cisco 4000 (68030) processor (revision 0xB0) with 16384K/4096K bytes
    of memory.
    Processor ID 5011724
    DDN X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2 and BFE compliant.
    8192K bytes of Flash address space sized on CPU board.

    Press RETURN to get started!

    Router(boot)>sh ver
    4000 Bootstrap Software (XX-RXBOOT), Version 9.14(7), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    Patchlevel = 9.1(11)
    Compiled Wed 18-May-94 05:07 by chansen

    System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(7), SOFTWARE

    Router uptime is 1 minute
    System restarted by power-on
    Running default software

    Then after trying a few config commands I get this:

    Warning: This bootstrap image is only for netbooting the final image
    and does not support the full command set.

    Checking flash:

    Router(boot)#sh flash
    8192K bytes of Flash address space sized on CPU board.
    Memory type is Flash.
    Flash address space: No files present.
    [8388608/8388608 bytes free/total]

    So as far as I can see I have to:
    Get router out of boot mode (Config register is set to boot out of
    rom)
    Get an interface working so I can tftp an IOS into it
    or
    Take a 2 pound lump hammer to it and use it as a paper weight!

    Dazed and confused
    Joe

    Rainfall, Jul 20, 2003