Cisco 3845 Module limitations for WIC-1SHDSL-V3..

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by evren.demirk4n@gmail.com, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello All,

    I am thinking to implement a new network based on Cisco3845. For
    connecting our remote branches I am thinking to use G.HDSL therefore
    our selection will be WIC-1SHDSL-V3 module. Future expansions in mind
    ( 15 branches in 2 or 3 years time) I read the maximum Number of
    G.SHDSL WICs is "12" for 3845 in WIC-1SHDSL-V3's datasheet.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet09186a00800921f0.html

    But after I check the 3845's datasheet
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016a8e8.html

    I saw that Number of High-Speed WIC (HWIC) Slots supported for this
    module was 4. My question is can we use this (WIC-1SHDSL-V3) module in
    the NM, NME, NME-X, NMD etc slots? By adding these supported Network
    Module Slots I am getting the total of 12.

    If not maybe I can go to Frame Relay to support these multiple
    branches, geographically diversed locations..
    TIA for your comments.

    Best Reagrds,
    Ras
    , Sep 11, 2006

  2. James Guest

    I run 3845's here - you can fit 12 standard size WIC cards in the 3845.

    You need to install 4 x NM-2W cards in the Chassis which will give you
    8 WIC slots and there are 4 on-board WIC slots.

    Beware - we have had a few problems with our 3845's. The Software ia
    quite buggy, to be expected I guess on a new platform....

    James

    James, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Guest

    Hi James,
    Thank you for your comments. If I may ask how many locations are you
    connected with this router? using T1 or E1 config?

    Best Regards,
    Ras

    James wrote:
    > I run 3845's here - you can fit 12 standard size WIC cards in the 3845.
    >
    > You need to install 4 x NM-2W cards in the Chassis which will give you
    > 8 WIC slots and there are 4 on-board WIC slots.
    >
    > Beware - we have had a few problems with our 3845's. The Software ia
    > quite buggy, to be expected I guess on a new platform....
    >
    > James
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I am thinking to implement a new network based on Cisco3845. For
    > > connecting our remote branches I am thinking to use G.HDSL therefore
    > > our selection will be WIC-1SHDSL-V3 module. Future expansions in mind
    > > ( 15 branches in 2 or 3 years time) I read the maximum Number of
    > > G.SHDSL WICs is "12" for 3845 in WIC-1SHDSL-V3's datasheet.
    > >
    > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet09186a00800921f0.html
    > >
    > > But after I check the 3845's datasheet
    > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016a8e8.html
    > >
    > > I saw that Number of High-Speed WIC (HWIC) Slots supported for this
    > > module was 4. My question is can we use this (WIC-1SHDSL-V3) module in
    > > the NM, NME, NME-X, NMD etc slots? By adding these supported Network
    > > Module Slots I am getting the total of 12.
    > >
    > > If not maybe I can go to Frame Relay to support these multiple
    > > branches, geographically diversed locations..
    > > TIA for your comments.
    > >
    > > Best Reagrds,
    > > Ras
    , Sep 11, 2006
  4. James Guest

    We have 12 WIC-2T's installed in three routers giving us 24 Serial
    Ports in each router.

    These are the WAN routers for our VSAT network - each port connects to
    a Satellite modem running various speeds from 128k up to 4 meg.

    At the moment we can only use about half the ports on each router.
    With one IOS release any device connected to a port in slot 3 performs
    badly and many errors are logged. When we upgrade the IOS the ports in
    slot 3 are useable but some other bug causes 100% CPU utilisation :)
    We have a TAC case open......

    James

    James, Sep 12, 2006