Cisco 3750

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by conrad, Oct 12, 2008.

  1. conrad

    conrad Guest

    There are a ton of 3750s on our network.
    When I need to find a machine, I do the
    following:
    a) Log into a switch
    b) Ping the ip of the machine
    c) check "show ip arp | incl ip"
    d) check "show mac-address-table | incl the.mac.address"
    e) if it returns Po1 or ports 25-28, I logon
    to the next switch, until I get a port
    listing in the range of 1-24 (which may
    be off a member of the switch if I'm dealing
    with a cluster.).

    Is there an easier way to identify this
    from a single switch? Instead of logging
    on to a switch until you find
    which switch the machine is connected
    to?

    --
    conrad

    conrad, Oct 12, 2008

  2. On 2008-10-12, conrad <> wrote:
    > There are a ton of 3750s on our network.
    > When I need to find a machine, I do the
    > following:
    > a) Log into a switch
    > b) Ping the ip of the machine
    > c) check "show ip arp | incl ip"
    > d) check "show mac-address-table | incl the.mac.address"
    > e) if it returns Po1 or ports 25-28, I logon
    > to the next switch, until I get a port
    > listing in the range of 1-24 (which may
    > be off a member of the switch if I'm dealing
    > with a cluster.).
    >
    > Is there an easier way to identify this
    > from a single switch? Instead of logging
    > on to a switch until you find
    > which switch the machine is connected
    > to?

    I use 'traceroute mac add1 add2'.

    Example:

    xxxsw1#traceroute mac 0015.60a0.9442 0015.60a0.949e
    Source 0015.60a0.9442 found on yyysw12
    1 yyysw12 (n.n.n.45) : Fa0/2 => Fa0/24
    2 yyysw1 (n.n.n.41) : Fa0/21 => Gi0/2
    3 zzzsw2 (n.n.n.12) : Gi0/4 => Gi0/5
    4 yyysw3 (n.n.n.72) : Gi0/2 => Fa0/13
    Destination 0015.60a0.949e found on yyysw3
    Layer 2 trace completed
    xxxsw1#

    You need two addresses on same vlan though.

    --
    #seppo dot mannisto at uta dot fi

    Seppo Mannisto, Oct 13, 2008

  3. conrad

    Martin Komon Guest

    I like to use the tool called NeDi. It is fairly easy to install and
    configure and it workes pretty well.

    http://nedi.sourceforge.net/about.html

    Martin

    Martin Komon, Oct 13, 2008
  4. conrad

    alexd Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:24:51 -0700, conrad wrote:

    > There are a ton of 3750s on our network. When I need to find a machine,
    > I do the following:

    <snip tale of woe>

    > Is there an easier way to identify this from a single switch? Instead
    > of logging on to a switch until you find
    > which switch the machine is connected to?

    Not from a single switch as such, but I've found Netdisco [netdisco.org]
    to do that [and more] on Cisco and HP LANs. It does basically what you've
    described by polling switches with SNMP and putting the results in an SQL
    database. You're then provided with a web interface to the data to do
    with what you will. It'll also let you down a switchport through the web
    interface, if you're into that kind of thing.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:10:24 up 9 days, 9:07, 1 user, load average: 0.29, 0.12, 0.05

    alexd, Oct 13, 2008