cisco 3660 RAM problem,

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by hari, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. hari

    hari Guest

    Hi

    i have upgraded the RAM form 32MB to 128MB
    i have removed the 32 MB and kept 128MB new RAM

    when i switch it on back, iam getting this problem

    any one can help me, it will be apprciated

    System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0xA0000008
    System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0xA0000008

    hari

    hari, Oct 27, 2003

  2. On 27 Oct 2003 03:02:58 -0800, hari wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > i have upgraded the RAM form 32MB to 128MB
    > i have removed the 32 MB and kept 128MB new RAM
    >
    > when i switch it on back, iam getting this problem
    >
    > any one can help me, it will be apprciated

    It say what the problem was - if original Cisco memory return it,
    if not, you most likely didn't get memory of the correct type.

    /Jesper

    --
    Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456, FreeBSD committer

    Jesper Skriver, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Are you sure you've got the correct type of memory?

    I see different models of the 3600 series use different kind of memory.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Oct 27, 2003
  4. hari

    Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:56:52 +0100, "Erik Tamminga"
    <> wrote:

    >Are you sure you've got the correct type of memory?
    >
    >I see different models of the 3600 series use different kind of memory.

    The 3660, uses PC100 ram. Sure you didn't get the wrong ram? You can
    use non-Cisco memory, just use a good quality brand.

    -Chris

    , Oct 28, 2003
  5. hari

    balth Guest

    [..]
    > The 3660, uses PC100 ram. Sure you didn't get the wrong ram? You can
    > use non-Cisco memory, just use a good quality brand.

    Hi.

    This is not so clear. I've bought RAM from sure dealer (I had bought many
    modules from him) and it router not started with similiar communicates. I
    was very-very amzed because it is sure-sure delaer :) So, next day my
    dealer went to me with module tester/programmer. And U know? Original
    modules were exactly the same like new modules but... hehe... always is BUT
    ;-) Original modules were programmed in SPD with _CISCO's_sign_ - so, if U
    have installed in router (3660 in my case) this one router asked "are U
    cisco's module?" - "yes, I am" said module and it works.
    So, we've programmed new modules with this _CISCO's_sign_ (read from old
    one) and it works fine :)

    One more thing - original modules are worth about 4800$ and my new about
    200$ :-> No comments guys....

    bye

    balth

    balth, Oct 28, 2003
  6. hari

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:44:20 +0100, "balth"
    <> wrote:

    >[..]
    >> The 3660, uses PC100 ram. Sure you didn't get the wrong ram? You can
    >> use non-Cisco memory, just use a good quality brand.
    >>

    >Hi.
    >
    >This is not so clear. I've bought RAM from sure dealer (I had bought many
    >modules from him) and it router not started with similiar communicates. I
    >was very-very amzed because it is sure-sure delaer :) So, next day my
    >dealer went to me with module tester/programmer. And U know? Original
    >modules were exactly the same like new modules but... hehe... always is BUT
    >;-) Original modules were programmed in SPD with _CISCO's_sign_ - so, if U
    >have installed in router (3660 in my case) this one router asked "are U
    >cisco's module?" - "yes, I am" said module and it works.
    > So, we've programmed new modules with this _CISCO's_sign_ (read from old
    >one) and it works fine :)
    >
    >One more thing - original modules are worth about 4800$ and my new about
    >200$ :-> No comments guys....
    >
    >bye
    >
    >balth

    Sounds odd. I've got generic memory in my router at the moment and it
    never complained about SPD id mismatching.

    -Chris

    , Oct 29, 2003
  7. hari

    hari Guest

    Hi all

    i have got another RAM now installed, and iam able to boot

    but after running some time iam getting the following error, and router hangs

    *** Watch Dog Timeout ***
    PC = 0x800001c0, SP = 0x60e3e178

    *** TLB (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
    Access address = 0x30800000
    PC = 0xd4d4d4d4, Cause = 0x8008, Status Reg = 0x30410002
    Failure detected during ROMMON start-up tests. Restart ROMMON.

    System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    Testing lower main memory - data equals address
    Bad RAM at location 0xA0000004: wrote 0xA0000004, read 0x44BA0000

    Testing lower main memory - data equals address
    Bad RAM at location 0xA0000004: wrote 0xA0000004, read 0x44BA0000
    System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    Testing lower main memory - data equals address
    Testing lower main memory - checkerboard
    Testing lower main memory - inverse checkerboard
    Clearing lower 32K memory for cache initialization
    Clearing bss
    Reading monitor variables from NVRAM
    Enabling interrupts
    Initializing TLB
    Initializing cache
    Reading cookie
    Initializing main memory
    Sizing NVRAM
    Initializing required TLB entries
    Configuring FLASH params
    Initializing PCI subsystem
    Exiting init
    C3660 processor with 32768 Kbytes of main memory
    Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

    *** TLB (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
    Access address = 0xd4d4d4d4
    PC = 0xbfc2d4ac, Cause = 0x8, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

    *** Address Error (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
    Access address = 0xffffffff
    PC = 0xffffffff, Cause = 0x10, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

    *** Address Error (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
    Access address = 0xffffffff
    PC = 0xffffffff, Cause = 0x10, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

    monitor: command "boot" aborted due to exception

    Testing lower main memory - data equals address
    Testing lower main memory - checkerboard
    Testing lower main memory - inverse checkerboard
    Clearing lower 32K memory for cache initialization
    Clearing bss
    Reading monitor variables from NVRAM
    Enabling interrupts
    Initializing TLB
    Initializing cache
    Reading cookie
    Initializing main memory
    Sizing NVRAM
    Initializing required TLB entries
    Configuring FLASH params
    Initializing PCI subsystem failed, opcode = 0x28

    *** TLB (Store) Exception ***
    Access address = 0xdcdcdcdc
    PC = 0xbfc22fdc, Cause = 0xc, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

    ------

    i make it off some time like hour or so
    it will work again for few hours and stops again
    and get

    System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0x5C5C5C5C

    i was not sure what could be the problem

    any one suggest me

    hari

    hari, Oct 29, 2003
  8. hari

    balth Guest

    [..]

    > Sounds odd. I've got generic memory in my router at the moment and it
    > never complained about SPD id mismatching.

    Odd? I think it's sounds mad. :( I've bought ten more 3660s in January and
    I'll expand memory in all of them (I think up to the end of the year). And I
    wonder if there will be similiar problems. Will bo or or not - I'll write
    about it.

    greets

    balth

    balth, Oct 29, 2003
  9. hari

    Guest

    On 28 Oct 2003 22:02:32 -0800, (hari) wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >i have got another RAM now installed, and iam able to boot
    >
    >but after running some time iam getting the following error, and router hangs

    Looks like either the ram is the wrong type (PC66 maybe?) or it is
    defective. Ask your vendor to replace the ram. What does the ram
    stick have for type and/or chip numbers?

    -Chris

    , Oct 30, 2003
  10. hari

    hari Guest

    Hi

    so if you think, if i chage the RAM so my problem will be resolved

    i dont think this chasis has problem, i was suspecting the chasis too

    so can some one recomend me that, if the RAM changes, will be going to
    solve the problem

    how do i identy if the chasis problem

    thanks
    hari

    hari, Nov 3, 2003
  11. hari

    Guest

    On 3 Nov 2003 03:27:43 -0800, (hari) wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >so if you think, if i chage the RAM so my problem will be resolved
    >
    >i dont think this chasis has problem, i was suspecting the chasis too
    >
    >so can some one recomend me that, if the RAM changes, will be going to
    >solve the problem
    >
    >how do i identy if the chasis problem
    >
    >thanks
    >hari

    While I can't guarantee that the ram is defective, the next step is to
    try a different dimm and see if the problem goes away. Swapping out
    the ram is certainly cheaper than getting a new chassis.

    -Chris

    , Nov 5, 2003