    20MB PCMCIA Flash card, would this be ok for a the CCNA or am i better going
    for the 3640, i alreaddy ahve a NM-4T purchased.

    Thanks
    Neil Ryan, Jun 18, 2007

  2. "Neil Ryan" <> writes:
    >My Lab currently only composes of two 2503 Routers and i want to expand it
    >with a Router that has Slots and Flash so i'm looking at a 3600 Series, at
    >the moment i found a good deal on a Cisco 3620 with NM-1FE, fully RAM and
    >20MB PCMCIA Flash card, would this be ok for a the CCNA or am i better going
    >for the 3640, i alreaddy ahve a NM-4T purchased.

    The main difference is only the # of slots and not much else.

    If you think you'd ever have more interfaces in the router, you'd want
    the bigger one. It might be nice to have 2-3 ethers in one router to
    test out on the next level past this.

    FWIW: I think 3640's are fairly cheap on eBay now? $300 vs. the $100
    or so the 3620's are going for? (averaging out some prices).
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 18, 2007

  3. Neil Ryan

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <46768d18$0$56954$>, (Doug McIntyre) writes:
    | "Neil Ryan" <> writes:
    | >My Lab currently only composes of two 2503 Routers and i want to expand it
    | >with a Router that has Slots and Flash so i'm looking at a 3600 Series, at
    | >the moment i found a good deal on a Cisco 3620 with NM-1FE, fully RAM and
    | >20MB PCMCIA Flash card, would this be ok for a the CCNA or am i better going
    | >for the 3640, i alreaddy ahve a NM-4T purchased.
    |
    | The main difference is only the # of slots and not much else.

    The 3640 supports at least one major IOS revision beyond the 3620, though,
    doesn't it? Plus I think the highest IOS Enterprise image on the 3620
    is 12.2. (12.3 would be IP+mumble.) That might be significant for a lab.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com
    Dan Lanciani, Jun 18, 2007
  4. ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) writes:
    >In article <46768d18$0$56954$>, (Doug McIntyre) writes:
    >| "Neil Ryan" <> writes:
    >| >My Lab currently only composes of two 2503 Routers and i want to expand it
    >| >with a Router that has Slots and Flash so i'm looking at a 3600 Series, at
    >| >the moment i found a good deal on a Cisco 3620 with NM-1FE, fully RAM and
    >| >20MB PCMCIA Flash card, would this be ok for a the CCNA or am i better going
    >| >for the 3640, i alreaddy ahve a NM-4T purchased.
    >|
    >| The main difference is only the # of slots and not much else.

    >The 3640 supports at least one major IOS revision beyond the 3620, though,
    >doesn't it? Plus I think the highest IOS Enterprise image on the 3620
    >is 12.2. (12.3 would be IP+mumble.) That might be significant for a lab.

    Ah, looks that way. I haven't had to touch a 3620 in a few years, was
    going on my last experience with them.

    The 3640 looks to be able to run latest IOS.

    The 3620 looks to stop at 12.3 (which has 12.3T and 12.4 after that
    not supported).

    So, the low price difference seems to point to the 3640 as being
    better over-all supporting more newer features.

    The 3620 does have a lower max DRAM count, so it always didn't support
    quite the full-load the 3640, but in real life, especailly at the CCNA/CCNP
    you aren't going to be doing anything that would matter that requires
    the DRAM being maxed out. Until Cisco started going hog-wild of
    putting large applications into every IOS rev, the DRAM count didn't
    really matter all that much on these platforms, they usually had plenty.
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Neil Ryan

    Scott Perry Guest

    This is your CCNA, not your CCDP or CCIE. Get the more affordable out of
    the two.

    What is the difference in operation of a 3620 with 1 card versus a 3640 or
    3660 with the same card?
    None

    What is the difference in the IOS between a 3620 / 3640 / 3660?
    None

    How many slots do you need in a home lab?
    Only enough for what you have, no more. Remember that YOU are funding it.

    --

    Scott Perry

    Scott Perry, Jun 29, 2007