    manager. Can someone point me to a discussion on the advantages and
    disadvantages of having or not having an ip assigned to the box?

    thank you

    joeblow, May 13, 2004

  2. joeblow

    mh Guest

    simple answer: assign them each an IP address

    Otherwise how do you get TFTP to the box to work ,SNMP, etc, etc

    mh, May 13, 2004

  3. joeblow

    Steinar Haug Guest

    [mh]

    | simple answer: assign them each an IP address
    |
    | Otherwise how do you get TFTP to the box to work ,SNMP, etc, etc

    They *can* be managed as a cluster, with only one externally visible
    IP address. Whether that is a good idea is another question entirely
    (we never use the cluster facility for 3550).

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, May 13, 2004
  4. joeblow

    mh Guest

    If you are using CMS then this would explain this paticular setup.

    I would pose the question of how would you get to a particular switch
    if CMS is broken. I suspect you would have to be one the console port
    of the "broken" switch

    Now just imagine that you are home....

    mh, May 13, 2004
  5. joeblow

    mh Guest

    Right, until CMS screws up ...

    mh, May 14, 2004
  6. joeblow

    joeblow Guest

    So what I'm hearing is that there is no downside to assigning an ip to
    each unit; and there's no reason not to? The previous guy was just lazy?

    thanks folks,

    joeblow, Jun 1, 2004