Cisco 350 - how do I config WPA/PSK?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Peter, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi,

    I hope somebody can help. I am sure this is just "terminology".

    I have a couple of Draytek 2900 Gi routers with wifi, and have their
    wifi setup for what Draytek call "WPA/PSK, encryption mode TKIP" and
    one enters just a single passphrase.

    This works with various laptops e.g. Sony 505 (internal wifi) and a
    few with the Linksys PCMCIA WPC54G wifi card whose config has a
    "WPA/PSK" option too.

    Now I have the Cisco 350 series mini-PCI card (and also the PCMCIA
    version of it) in a couple of laptops and the Cisco software (Aironet
    Client Utility v6.4.05) and it uses different terminology and despite
    trying different options I can't get it to work.

    Under the Network Security tab, I see

    checkbox for WPA

    under it some options:

    None
    LEAP
    EAP-FAST
    Host-based EAP (802.1x)

    Data Encryption

    None
    Static WEP

    AP authentication

    Open
    Shared Key

    Which options do I use to do simple WPA/PSK/TKIP?

    It works fine for simple WEP, where I select NONE under
    Authentication, and Static WEP under Data Encryption, and enter the
    WEP passphrase under Static WEP Keys

    I should add that with these wifi cards the security settings are
    configured in the Cisco software, whereas with every other wifi
    adaptor I have used the WPA settings are done in XP - except the
    Linksys one where they are again done in the Linksys software. Maybe
    that's the problem here? I certainly found that with the Cisco 350
    setting plain WEP in XP doesn't work - it has to be done in the Cisco
    software.

    Any pointers much appreciated!

    Peter.
    E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.
    Peter, Mar 9, 2005

  2. With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
    configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
    for WPA-PSK.

    I don't understand why you said that you had to use ACU rather
    than XP WZC to configure static WEP ... this laptop I'm
    typing on now has a 350 in it that's configured for static
    WEP via XP WZC and it works fine.

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ Hi,
    ~
    Aaron Leonard, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    >With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
    >configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
    >for WPA-PSK.

    How should I config the ACU in this case?

    The ACU supports "profiles" and each profile can be edited to specify
    the access point SSID and many other things like whether the adaptor
    should use just the primary antenna or both.

    Should I config a single profile in the ACU which is wide open, and do
    the rest in XP?

    Where does the ACU security config sit in relation to the security
    config in XP?

    >I don't understand why you said that you had to use ACU rather
    >than XP WZC to configure static WEP ... this laptop I'm
    >typing on now has a 350 in it that's configured for static
    >WEP via XP WZC and it works fine.

    I probably didn't understand the interaction of the two places where
    security is potentially configured. How does this work? It is possible
    that if one configures the static WEP in the ACU, the setting is then
    copied into XP's wireless security config.

    I do know that for plain no-security LAN access the Cisco adaptor
    works without installing any Cisco software, but I had to install the
    ACU to specify the usage of just one antenna (necessary in this case).

    Peter, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Cisco 350 ACU versus WinXP network config

    Aaron Leonard <> wrote

    >With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
    >configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
    >for WPA-PSK.
    >
    >I don't understand why you said that you had to use ACU rather
    >than XP WZC to configure static WEP ... this laptop I'm
    >typing on now has a 350 in it that's configured for static
    >WEP via XP WZC and it works fine.

    After a lot more messing about, I am beginning to understand how it
    *might* be working.

    The Cisco ACU enables the network config, including security, to be
    configured entirely within itself. It then presents the data
    (decrypted if e.g. WEP was enabled in the ACU) to Windows. In this
    case, Windows doesn't report any wireless connection as active; it
    sees just a ordinary network connection. Windows doesn't even detect
    the network, while the ACU shows Connected in its Status tab.

    The Windows XP wireless config duplicates some of the ACU features,
    and adds many more obscure authentication etc features.

    Now the key:

    The ACU has a radio button called something like "let Windows manage
    the network config".

    Win XP has a similar button called something like "let another device
    manage the network config".

    The two settings above appear to determine where the settings are
    made.

    So, let's say I am on a plain WEP network. I can set this up either in
    the ACU (by creating and editing a profile) and then Windows doesn't
    see the network connection as a wireless one, or I can set this up in
    the WinXP wireless network config, and then the ACU Status tab doesn't
    show an association with a network!

    I still can't get WPA/PSK to work though. I have now been told that it
    cannot be done in the ACU, but for some reason I can't find the option
    under the XP wireless settings either. This is XP Pro Tablet
    edition...

    I think I do need to use the ACU to *some* extent because that's the
    only place I can specify the use of the primary antenna only.

    Is the above right?

    Peter, Mar 10, 2005
  5. On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:38:09 +0000 (UTC), Peter <> wrote:

    ~
    ~ >With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
    ~ >configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
    ~ >for WPA-PSK.
    ~
    ~ How should I config the ACU in this case?
    ~
    ~ The ACU supports "profiles" and each profile can be edited to specify
    ~ the access point SSID and many other things like whether the adaptor
    ~ should use just the primary antenna or both.
    ~
    ~ Should I config a single profile in the ACU which is wide open, and do
    ~ the rest in XP?
    ~
    ~ Where does the ACU security config sit in relation to the security
    ~ config in XP?

    You can use either ACU or XP WZC to configure your SSID/security
    stuff and you can flip back and forth between your ACU profiles
    and your WZC config.

    I do it by right-clicking the little green (or yellow or red or
    gray) Aironet "ACM" (acumon.exe) icon in the taskbar. To use
    WZC, select Select Profile -> Use other configuration application.

    This should give you the idea:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00801d2f28.html

    Aaron

    ---

    Aaron Leonard, Mar 10, 2005
  6. Re: Cisco 350 ACU versus WinXP network config

    OK good, sounds like you're on the right path.
    Now you just need to configure WPA-PSK in XP (SP2
    would be recommended.)

    You can find a walkthrough at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

    Regards,

    Aaron

    ---

    ~
    ~ Aaron Leonard <> wrote
    ~
    ~ >With the 350 client, if you want to do WPA-PSK, you have to
    ~ >configure it in XP WZC, not ACU. ACU per se has no support
    ~ >for WPA-PSK.
    ~ >
    Aaron Leonard, Mar 10, 2005