Cisco 350 AP EAP settings

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by calvin, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. calvin

    calvin Guest

    Hi,

    I have been reading Cisco documentation and things are getting
    complicated.

    Objective:-
    To associate a Windows XP (using Cisco 350 WLAN Adapter) with a Cisco
    350 Access Point using EAP (IEEE 802.1x).

    I have the following questions:-
    (1) The Access Point does not directly connect to a Radius server. I
    just wish to associate to the Access Point and there is another server
    which relay EAP request to my Radius Server. So I assume I should not
    be onfiguring the Server Authentication page?

    (2) "Note If you select Network-EAP as the authentication type, you
    must select key 1 as the transmit key. The access point uses the WEP
    key you enter in key slot 1 to encrypt multicast data signals it sends
    to EAP-enabled client devices. If you enable broadcast key rotation,
    however, you can select any key as the transmit key or you can enable
    WEP without entering any keys." and "Network-EAP -- The device uses
    the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) to interact with an
    EAP-compatible RADIUS server on your network to provide authentication
    for wireless client devices. Client devices use dynamic WEP keys to
    authenticate to the network.".

    Why is that Network-EAP has something to do with WEP?

    I am cofuse, and I think things should be simpler. I used a Linksys
    PCI WLAN adapter and things work well.

    Please advice.

    Thank you
    Calvin

    calvin, Nov 17, 2003

  2. calvin

    Andre Beck Guest

    (calvin) writes:

    > Why is that Network-EAP has something to do with WEP?

    Because EAP is trying to do two things: First, offhaul client authentication
    to a remote authentication server, second, automate the distribution of
    random WEP session keys to these clients during authentication in order to
    make them less sensitive to airsnorting attacks.

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-

    Andre Beck, Nov 19, 2003