Cisco 2950 trunking all vlans

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Piccalo Clark, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm using a Cisco Catalyst 2950 at the base switch in my network. When
    I say bases switch I mean the switch my gateway is connected to and
    provides uplinks to all other switches in my network. I have several
    trunk ports configured, which transport all vlans, eg:

    #show interfaces fastEthernet 0/24 sw
    Name: Fa0/24
    Switchport: Enabled
    Administrative Mode: trunk
    Operational Mode: trunk
    Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
    Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
    Negotiation of Trunking: On
    Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
    Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
    Administrative private-vlan host-association: none
    Administrative private-vlan mapping: none
    Operational private-vlan: none
    Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL
    Pruning VLANs Enabled: NONE

    The problem I am having is: When I add another switch to the network I
    want this trunk port to transport all the vlans on the new switch. I
    have to explicitly add each vlan on the new switch to my base switch,
    which I don't want to do each time, eg:

    #vlan database
    #vlan 50 name new_vlan
    VLAN 50 added:
    Name: new_vlan

    Is there anyway to get the 2950 to just transport all vlans ? Oh, I
    forgot to mention, the other switches in the network are not Cisco,
    and don't support VTP!

    When I do the follow:
    #show interfaces trunk

    Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
    Fa0/1 on 802.1q trunking 1
    Fa0/23 on 802.1q trunking 1
    Fa0/24 on 802.1q trunking 1

    Port Vlans allowed on trunk
    Fa0/1 1-4094
    Fa0/23 1-4094
    Fa0/24 1-4094

    Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
    Fa0/1 1,10-11,40,50,109-112,214-215
    Fa0/23 1,10-11,40,50,109-112,214-215
    Fa0/24 1,10-11,40,50,109-112,214-215

    Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
    Fa0/1 1,10-11,40,109-112,214-215
    Fa0/23 1,10-11,40,109-112,214-215
    Fa0/24 1,10-11,40,109-112,214-215

    I can see that although the trunk ports 1, 23 & 24 are trunking all
    vlans, the list of allowed vlans prevents this from happening. Another
    acceptable solution, although not as good, would be if i could add
    vlans in a range to the vlan database, eg:

    #vlan database
    #vlan 50-250

    Adding Vlans 50 to 250.

    Any idea appreciated ?