    RG Guest

    Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?

    Thanks in advanced

    RG, Jun 1, 2010

  2. "RG" <> writes:
    >Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?
    >Thanks in advanced

    Yes, pretty much all of Cisco's switches support VLAN'ing..

    If you mean put a port into access mode..

    interface FastE 0/1
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 403

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 1, 2010

  3. RG

    RG Guest

    Yes. Wouldn't this mean that the switch's port fa0/1 sends and receives
    packets that only contain vlan id 403 tag and no others vlans.

    What I am looking for is in addition to this...

    interface FastE 0/2
    some untagged definition of vlan 403

    and

    interface FastE 0/3
    default vlan

    where fa0/2 could communicate with fa0/1 and fa0/3. In other words, packets
    will not contain vlan id tag when being transmitted.

    Thanks for your help.

    RG, Jun 1, 2010
  4. * RG hackte in den Rechenknecht:
    > Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?
    >
    > Thanks in advanced

    As untagged vs. tagged traffic is only important if you trunk it
    somewhere else, you should change the native vlan of that trunk to
    whatever you want. Traffic from the native vlan is untagged and only
    possible if you use dot1q.

    luke
    --
    Es gibt im Universum keine größere bekannte Kraft als die, welche auf
    unfertige Software wirkt, um sie in die große weite Welt auszuliefern.

    Lukas Schratz, Jun 1, 2010
  5. RG

    RG Guest

    Great. Now that you mention trunking... I would like to put 2621 router
    between the vlans I mentioned. Based on what you are saying this should
    work. Can I trunk more than one vlan on the same port and how would I do
    it?

    Thanks again for your help

    RG, Jun 1, 2010
  6. * RG hackte in den Rechenknecht:
    > Great. Now that you mention trunking... I would like to put 2621 router
    > between the vlans I mentioned. Based on what you are saying this should
    > work. Can I trunk more than one vlan on the same port and how would I do
    > it?

    Of course, that's what trunking is for.
    For how to implement: Just search for "Router on a stick" - yes really,
    that's the more or less official name this setup got.
    You will get a plethora of examples.
    In short: Switchport set to trunk and on the router you configure one
    subinterface per vlan with the appropriate tag - best practice is that
    your tags match the number of the subinterface.

    > Thanks again for your help

    luke
    --
    Systemadministrator: Der wo macht, dass das Internet geht, den man aber
    nix wegen Word fragen darf, weil sonst ist er sauer und dann geht das

    Lukas Schratz, Jun 1, 2010
  7. RG

    RG Guest

    Will router on a stick configuration work if one interface is native vland
    (untagged), and the other tagged vlan.

    RG, Jun 17, 2010