    Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the
    same time?

    Thanks

    tman, Nov 29, 2007

  2. tman

    Trendkill Guest

    On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, tman <> wrote:
    > We use a Cisco 2948G-L3 as our backbone. I purchased another one as a
    > spare. I wanted to try loading the configuration file via tftp server
    > on the spare. The configuration file loaded just fine but I found
    > that non of the 48 10/100 ports were up. I had to go to any port I
    > wanted to use and do a no shut.
    >
    > Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the
    > same time?
    >
    > Thanks

    If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not
    sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.

    int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48
    no shut

    Trendkill, Nov 29, 2007

  3. tman

    tman Guest

    On Nov 29, 9:53 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, tman <> wrote:
    >
    > > We use a Cisco 2948G-L3 as our backbone. I purchased another one as a
    > > spare. I wanted to try loading the configuration file via tftp server
    > > on the spare. The configuration file loaded just fine but I found
    > > that non of the 48 10/100 ports were up. I had to go to any port I
    > > wanted to use and do a no shut.

    > > Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the
    > > same time?

    > > Thanks

    > If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not
    > sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.
    >
    > int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48
    > no shut

    Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a
    no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the
    other 2948G-L3.

    Thanks

    tman, Nov 29, 2007
  4. tman

    Trendkill Guest

    On Nov 29, 2:33 pm, tman <> wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 9:53 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, tman <> wrote:

    > > > We use a Cisco 2948G-L3 as our backbone. I purchased another one as a
    > > > spare. I wanted to try loading the configuration file via tftp server
    > > > on the spare. The configuration file loaded just fine but I found
    > > > that non of the 48 10/100 ports were up. I had to go to any port I
    > > > wanted to use and do a no shut.

    > > > Is this normal? If so, is there a way to no shut all the ports at the
    > > > same time?

    > > > Thanks

    > > If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not
    > > sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.

    > > int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48
    > > no shut

    > Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a
    > no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the
    > other 2948G-L3.
    >
    > Thanks

    "No shut" doesn't show in the running or startup config text, and you
    probably had a default config of shutdown. Not sure how to change
    that on an IOS switch, but I'm sure there is a way. Else range works
    great.

    Trendkill, Nov 29, 2007
  5. tman

    tman Guest

    On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 2:33 pm, tman <> wrote:

    > > > If the ios will support the range command, the answer is yes. Not
    > > > sure on the 2948s, all comes down to how modern the code is.

    > > > int range fastethernet (or gigabitethernet) 0/1 - 48
    > > > no shut

    > > Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a
    > > no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the
    > > other 2948G-L3.

    > > Thanks

    > "No shut" doesn't show in the running or startup config text, and you
    > probably had a default config of shutdown. Not sure how to change
    > that on an IOS switch, but I'm sure there is a way. Else range works
    > great.- Hide quoted text -

    There is no range command in this version of IOS.

    tman, Nov 29, 2007
  6. tman

    tman Guest

    On Nov 29, 1:47 pm, tman <> wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 12:02 pm, Trendkill <> wrote:

    > > > Shouldn't the configuration that I uploaded from the tftp server do a
    > > > no shut on all the ports? It was a running-configuration from the
    > > > other 2948G-L3.

    > > > Thanks

    > > "No shut" doesn't show in the running or startup config text, and you
    > > probably had a default config of shutdown. Not sure how to change
    > > that on an IOS switch, but I'm sure there is a way. Else range works
    > > great.- Hide quoted text -

    > There is no range command in this version of IOS.- Hide quoted text -

    I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production
    2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why,
    when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the
    interfaces in a shutdown state?

    Thanks

    tman, Nov 29, 2007
  7. tman

    Peter Guest

    Greetings,

    > I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production
    > 2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why,
    > when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the
    > interfaces in a shutdown state?

    It all depends on the last saved status of the H/W.

    After loading the required config, unshut all required ports then SAVE
    the config on the same platform again and all subseqent power up's
    will use the last SAVED status of the ports

    Cheers.................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Nov 30, 2007
  8. tman

    tman Guest

    On Nov 29, 11:48 pm, "Peter" <> wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > > I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production
    > > 2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why,
    > > when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the
    > > interfaces in a shutdown state?

    > It all depends on the last saved status of the H/W.
    >
    > After loading the required config, unshut all required ports then SAVE
    > the config on the same platform again and all subseqent power up's
    > will use the last SAVED status of the ports
    >
    > Cheers.................pk.
    >
    > --
    > Peter from Auckland.

    Thanks PK. I stumbled on that awful truth yesterday. Looks like
    there is no getting around it.

    Tman

    tman, Nov 30, 2007
  9. tman

    tman Guest

    On Nov 30, 8:25 am, tman <> wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 11:48 pm, "Peter" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Greetings,

    > > > I guess the real question is if the configuration on our production
    > > > 2948G-L3 boots and all the ports are not in a shutdown state, why,
    > > > when I download the same configuration to my spare 2948G all the
    > > > interfaces in a shutdown state?

    > > It all depends on the last saved status of the H/W.

    > > After loading the required config, unshut all required ports then SAVE
    > > the config on the same platform again and all subseqent power up's
    > > will use the last SAVED status of the ports

    > > Cheers.................pk.

    > > --
    > > Peter from Auckland.

    > Thanks PK. I stumbled on that awful truth yesterday. Looks like
    > there is no getting around it.
    >
    > Tman- Hide quoted text -

    There is a really neat way of running a "no shut" on all the ports.
    You create a text file like the following:

    int fasteth1
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth2
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth3
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth4
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth5
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth6
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth7
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth8
    no shut
    exit

    int fasteth46
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth47
    no shut
    exit
    int fasteth48
    no shut
    exit
    int gigabiteth49
    no shut
    exit
    int gigabiteth50
    no shut
    end

    Now you copy it from a TFTP server to the runnng-configuration.

    tman, Dec 1, 2007