    advise what NM/WIC/HWIC I will need as a bare minimum?

    Thanks

    Peter

    Peter Danes, Apr 27, 2009

  2. Peter Danes <> writes:
    >I currently have a 2811 which is just used for data at the moment. I'm
    >looking at signing up for a VoIP SIP service and configuring it on my
    >2811. This is new territory for me so to get me started, can someone
    >advise what NM/WIC/HWIC I will need as a bare minimum?

    We'll just turn this around and ask what you want to do with it?

    VOIP means an increadibly large number of different things to
    different people, what you want to acomplish greatly affects what
    hardware you get. Especially when Cisco routers are more like
    toolboxes rather than a dedicated single-use tool.

    If you are passing SIP packets from something inside your network to
    outside your network, you probably don't need anything on the router.
    Ie. you get a VOIP phone of some kind, it just sits there on your network.

    It doesn't sound like you need to turn an FXO into SIP, or feed an FXO
    into CME making the router a gateway of some kind?

    Its possible that you want to setup CCME to make a PBX type system
    with your 2811?

    Finally, you may want to terminate the SIP trunk you've obtained to be
    terminated on a FXS so you can plug an analog phone into the router
    and have it ring when the SIP trunk receives a call?

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 27, 2009

  3. "Elia Spadoni" <> writes:
    >> Finally, you may want to terminate the SIP trunk you've obtained to be
    >> terminated on a FXS so you can plug an analog phone into the router
    >> and have it ring when the SIP trunk receives a call?

    >That could interest me :)
    >I have one 2600 router and IOS 12.4

    Is it a 2600XM? Or a 2600? Alot of voice stuff requires a ton of
    memory to run the latest images, that a plain 2600 couldn't have.
    The latest voice stuff adds things like SIP registration with
    usernames instead of only E.164, so its pretty desireable, seeing as
    almost all SIP providers do it via username.

    The most basic setup would be adding on hardware DSPs like the NM-1V
    or NM-2V, and popping a VIC card into their slot, in your case a VIC-2FXS,
    such that you could plug an analog phone into the card.

    >I have one SIP account with a SIP Provider
    >I would like to terminate it on an analog PBX to use with standard analog
    >phones.
    >I think I'd need one wic with a voice RJ11 port..

    That sounds like you need an FXS port. The opposit of that is the FXO
    port/card.

    Doug McIntyre, May 5, 2009
  4. "Elia" <> writes:
    >I have both 2600 and 2600XM

    The expanded DRAM on the 2600XM lets you run some of the later 12.4T
    images before they dropped support for the 2600 routers altogether.
    sip-ua authentication using username/password came in a relately
    recent 12.4T image.

    >It could be interesting that I set on the router the SIP user/pass
    >and I can use some VOIP Phones on the lan and an analog phone directly
    >connected via the router.

    Sure, can be done with a voice IOS load, and stock setup.

    >In the first case I'd need that the phones authenticate on the router
    >directly?? (maybe) and in the latter case I need a voice port with RJ11
    >plug.

    Yes, the SIP phones would register with dial-peers on the router.
    The voice port would also get configured with dial-peers.

    Setup your dial plan, and it should all work.

    Doug McIntyre, May 27, 2009