Cisco 2621 w/Firewall IOS and Linksys WRV54G

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by sphealey, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. sphealey

    sphealey Guest

    We have a managed Internet connection from a telecom provider which
    uses a Cisco 2621 and the IOS Firewall (I believe) software as the CPE.
    I do not have access to the router and have only the basics of the
    configuration. The management service level is minimal (by contract);
    I generally need to provide at least the basics of any change I
    require. Given the overall situation with this service provider I am
    not even sure they have a customer engineering group any more.

    I have an end user who needs to connect to a remote system based on a
    Linksys WRV54G using the EasyVPN client software. This client connects
    successfully on an open Internet connection (e.g. at Starbucks), but
    not surprisingly fails on our network.

    Problem is - I can't find anything in the documentation or on the
    Linksys web site telling me what protocols and ports I need to open to
    make the connection work. They apparently assume the client can use
    any without restrictions, which is not the case on any corporate
    network I know of.

    I have submitted questions to Linksys support over the last 6 days and
    received no response, within 24 hours or otherwise. Of course the unit
    comes with no support contract.

    We ran an Ethereal trace and examined it to the best of our ability,
    but we don't see anything obviously wrong or any clear indication of
    how the connection is occuring/failing.

    Does anyone have any experience/insight on connecting with this client?
    My advice to not buy the Linksys was already disregarded.

    Thanks.

    sPh
    sphealey, Mar 16, 2006

  2. sphealey

    Merv Guest

    Please clarify the topology in question...

    Is it ?

    PC with Cisco VPN client ---> Linksys WRV54G ---> CM/DSL modem -->
    Internet --->

    ---> Cisco 2621 ---> corp network
    Merv, Mar 16, 2006

  3. sphealey

    sPh Guest

    Merv wrote:
    > Please clarify the topology in question...
    >
    > Is it ?
    >
    > PC with Cisco VPN client ---> Linksys WRV54G ---> CM/DSL modem -->
    > Internet --->
    >
    > ---> Cisco 2621 ---> corp network

    PC with Linksys EasyVPN client => Cisco 2621 => T1 => {Internet} => DSL
    provider => DSL modem w/fixed IP => Linksys 54G => target W2K server

    although I am not absolutely sure of the topology on the far (Linksys
    router) end.

    sPh
    sPh, Mar 17, 2006
  4. sphealey

    Merv Guest

    Merv, Mar 17, 2006
  5. sphealey

    Guest

    sphealey wrote:
    > We have a managed Internet connection from a telecom provider which

    > I have an end user who needs to connect to a remote system based on a
    > Linksys WRV54G using the EasyVPN client software. This client connects
    > successfully on an open Internet connection (e.g. at Starbucks), but
    > not surprisingly fails on our network.

    "Managed" means this is your telecom's problem.

    If they do not wish to resolve it for you, demand access to the
    "managed" portion of the service, namely the router.

    Odds are it needs to be upgraded with ram/flash/ios and its
    configuration needs to be overhauled.
    , Mar 20, 2006