    Initially I was thinking about getting a 2620 and an additional 10/100
    network module. If anyone has a suggestion on a better router than the
    2600 series, I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

    tullid, Oct 4, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    tullid <> wrote:
    >I recently ordered a 10Mbit copper ethernet connection from my isp.
    >They dont provide a router so I am looking at the Cisco 2621, which has
    >two 10/100 ethernet ports. Would I be able to utilize one of those
    >ports for Internet access and the other connected to my
    >firewall/private network?

    Is that 10 MBit copper connection merely clocked at that rate,
    or are you expecting to be able to transfer 10 Mbit/s over it
    (counting all overhead) ? Is it a symmetic rate connection?
    e.g., are you expecting to be able to simultaneously transmit 10 Mbit/s
    and receive 10 Mbit/s ?

    >Initially I was thinking about getting a 2620 and an additional 10/100
    >network module. If anyone has a suggestion on a better router than the
    >2600 series, I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

    Is it a 2621 or a 2621XM ?

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

    The 2621, not doing anything else (no sophisticated ACLs, no
    firewall, no VPN) maxes out at 12.8 Mbit/s of minimum-length packets;
    the 2621 at 15.36. So if you were hoping to drive 10 up + 10 down,
    neither how enough performance.

    Even doing NAT might slow your performance noticably on the 26xx
    models. And if you aren't at least doing NAT or firewalling, then
    you might as well just plug the ISP connection into your switch
    without any router.

    Where is your firewall in all of this? Why not plug the connection
    into it?

    It sounds as if you do not have the 2621 already; the 2621 itself
    is End of Sale; the 2621XM is still available new. If you were
    planning to buy a used 2621, *don't*. If you were planning to
    buy a used 2621XM, make sure you know what you are getting into
    by buying used (no software license!)

    I would suggest that you consider looking at the 2800 series
    instead of the 2600 series.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 4, 2006

  3. Walter Roberson wrote:

    "If you were planning to buy a used 2621XM, make sure you know what you
    are getting into by buying used (no software license!)"

    ---------------------------

    Hi Walter,

    Used units are availabe that are fully-licensed, SMARTnet eligible and
    with warranty same as new.

    CISCO2621XM-DC-RF
    Refurbished List Price: $2,157
    Quantity Available: 25

    CISCO2621XM-RF
    Refurbished List Price $1,857
    Quantity Available: 79

    CISCO2621XM-RPS-RF
    Mid Perf Dual 10/100 w/IOS IP,32F/128D-use w/RPS
    Refurbished List Price: $1,857
    Quantity Available: 53

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-inventory-search.htm

    Hope this helps.

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power-supply-inventory.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Oct 4, 2006
  4. Walter Roberson <> wrote:
    > The 2621, not doing anything else (no sophisticated ACLs, no
    > firewall, no VPN) maxes out at 12.8 Mbit/s of minimum-length packets;
    > the 2621 at 15.36. So if you were hoping to drive 10 up + 10 down,
    > neither how enough performance.

    From my experience 2621 can handle web traffic (with an ACL
    of two dozen lines on its external interface, where HTTP requests
    arrive) of up to 30-35 Mbps. At that point CPU utilization will
    go to around 95%, it will drop OSPF session, ... With NAT, or
    policy routing enabled that upper threshold will be much lower,
    of course.

    --
    andrei

    Andrei Ivanov, Oct 4, 2006
  5. "tullid" <> writes:
    >I recently ordered a 10Mbit copper ethernet connection from my isp.
    >They dont provide a router so I am looking at the Cisco 2621, which has
    >two 10/100 ethernet ports. Would I be able to utilize one of those
    >ports for Internet access and the other connected to my
    >firewall/private network?

    >Initially I was thinking about getting a 2620 and an additional 10/100
    >network module. If anyone has a suggestion on a better router than the
    >2600 series, I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

    What do you need the router for? I'd consider leaving it out
    altogether unless you need some sort of router function, assuming your
    firewall is capable enough. Especially leave it out if you have a
    routing type firewall (ie. Juniper/Netscreen or Fortigate), as they
    are quite capable of doing most routing functions as well.

    Doug McIntyre, Oct 5, 2006