CIsco 2620XM failover question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ckane, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. ckane

    ckane Guest

    have a 2600 which has dual wics . A T1 Wic going to Sprint and a
    Ethernet Wic connected to a SatLink.

    We want to setup a failover. I thought OSPF might work but it failed
    to fail over.

    The network is basic. A 2950 Connects (internal net) connects to a
    SonicWall which connect to the 2620XM. The 260XM is connected to
    Sprint via the T1 and DirecWay via Ethernet.

    When and if the T1 goes down, we need it to switch over to the DirecWay
    for the internal users to be able to access the internet.

    What routing protocols would work (OSPF, BGP, etc). There are no
    upstream routers or downstream routers (Upstream are all managed so
    cannot be configured). We just need the 2600 to failover to the
    DirecWay.

    Please provide solution if you can.
    ckane, Oct 19, 2005

  2. "ckane" <> wrote in message
    > have a 2600 which has dual wics . A T1 Wic going to Sprint and a
    > Ethernet Wic connected to a SatLink.
    >

    > We want to setup a failover. I thought OSPF might work but it failed
    > to fail over.
    >

    > The network is basic. A 2950 Connects (internal net) connects to a
    > SonicWall which connect to the 2620XM. The 260XM is connected to
    > Sprint via the T1 and DirecWay via Ethernet.
    >

    > When and if the T1 goes down, we need it to switch over to the DirecWay
    > for the internal users to be able to access the internet.
    >

    > What routing protocols would work (OSPF, BGP, etc). There are no
    > upstream routers or downstream routers (Upstream are all managed so
    > cannot be configured). We just need the 2600 to failover to the
    > DirecWay.
    >

    > Please provide solution if you can.

    Is there any reson why weighted static routes would not work ? (Assuming you
    see you primary interface go down)
    Buzz Lightbeer, Oct 19, 2005

  3. ckane

    Merv Guest

    Merv, Oct 19, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    Merv <> wrote:
    >check out
    >
    >Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking
    >
    >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

    A good solution if the T1 does not fail reliably at the link level
    when it becomes unusable (if the T1 does fail reliably, a simple
    floating static would do the job). Not a useful solution if the
    2620XM is also doing NAT and the translations are not identical on
    both upstream interfaces. Been there, done that, been burnt.

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com
    Vincent C Jones, Oct 20, 2005
  5. ckane

    ckane Guest

    The router has two static IP address(es) and no nating is being done on
    the the router.

    I applied two weighted static IPs to the interfaces, but was not sure
    if the router would failover properly. I've read that the static IP
    scheme would work on say, dual serial connections reliably but not on 1
    serial and 1 ethernet.

    Thank you for the suggestions.

    Chris
    ckane, Oct 20, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    ckane <> wrote:
    >The router has two static IP address(es) and no nating is being done on
    >the the router.
    >
    >I applied two weighted static IPs to the interfaces, but was not sure
    >if the router would failover properly. I've read that the static IP
    >scheme would work on say, dual serial connections reliably but not on 1
    >serial and 1 ethernet.
    >
    >Thank you for the suggestions.
    >
    >Chris

    As I read your original requirements, the only time the Ethernet ISP
    will be used is when the T1 ISP is down, so there is no need to
    dynamically detect when the Ethernet ISP is down (but you do need to
    routinely test or it won't be up when you do need it).

    You also need to address how your T1 ISP will detect when the
    T1 is down and what steps they will take to route traffic coming
    back into you over to the Ethernet ISP. TCP/IP only works if both
    directions still work. Note that this is automatic if your Ethernet
    ISP interface/modem/router/black box or whatever uses NAT to change
    the return address to something unique to that link, although this
    approach has the side effect of taking down all sessions when a switch
    over occurs.

    As you can probably tell by the answers so far, there are a lot of
    alternative solutions whose utility and effectiveness depend upon
    the exact details of how you have your connections set up and what
    your usage requirements are. For example, there is a huge difference
    between protecting the ability of inside users to reach the Internet
    for web browsing and serving up web pages to the general public. So
    far, all the solutions being discussed have been for the former
    and would leave you high and dry if you needed the latter.

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com
    Vincent C Jones, Oct 20, 2005