Cisco 2611 with old Ios installed - need to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by trashcan@wopr.de, Jun 21, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hey,

    I just got a rather old Cisco 2611 router with 2 10Base-T and one serial wic
    installed.
    After quite a time its the first cisco router I had to configure... so I'm
    kind of outdated with those cisco's as the cisco itself I think...

    All I want this 2611 to do is:

    make a pppoe connection to a ADSL provider
    make a dyndns update to be accessible even with a dynamic ip
    do pat/nat on the internal network
    forward two external ports to an internal server
    make it accessible by ar BRI-ISDN (which isn't built in yet) from the
    outside.

    I don't know if the IOS which is installed does really support all this, so,
    I really appreciate your help if it can do this with this version

    cisco2611>sh ver
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 11.3(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE
    (fc1)
    Compiled Wed 01-Jul-98 11:48 by phanguye
    Image text-base: 0x80008084, data-base: 0x80552544

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    cisco2611 uptime is 20 hours, 3 minutes
    System restarted by reload
    System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.113-4.T1", booted via flash

    cisco 2611 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x202) with 18432K/6144K bytes of
    memory.
    Processor board ID JAB030908CE (2392022389)
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 Serial network interface(s)
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    Thank you very much for your help,

    Cheers,

    Uli-G
    , Jun 21, 2009

  2. Uli Link Guest

    schrieb:

    > cisco2611>sh ver
    > Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    > IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 11.3(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE
    > (fc1)
    > Copyright (c) 1986-1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    > Compiled Wed 01-Jul-98 11:48 by phanguye
    > Image text-base: 0x80008084, data-base: 0x80552544
    >
    > ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    >
    > cisco2611 uptime is 20 hours, 3 minutes
    > System restarted by reload
    > System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.113-4.T1", booted via flash
    >
    > cisco 2611 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x202) with 18432K/6144K bytes of
    > memory.
    > Processor board ID JAB030908CE (2392022389)
    > M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    > Bridging software.
    > X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    > 2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    > 1 Serial network interface(s)
    > 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    > 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    >
    > Configuration register is 0x2102

    No luck,
    for dyndns you'll need at least IOS 12.4 Mainline or 12.3(14)T.
    For PPPoE you'll need the PLUS feature set.

    --
    ULi
    Uli Link, Jun 21, 2009

  3. Guest

    Uli Link wrote:

    > No luck,
    > for dyndns you'll need at least IOS 12.4 Mainline or 12.3(14)T.

    ....and more flash and dram I guess...

    > For PPPoE you'll need the PLUS feature set.

    Is at least pppoe available in any IOS Version where I don't have to upgrade
    any hardware? I mean, its a rather old machine...

    Cheers,

    Uli
    , Jun 21, 2009
  4. bod43 Guest

    On 21 June, 23:22, wrote:
    > Uli Link wrote:
    > > No luck,
    > > for dyndns you'll need at least IOS 12.4 Mainline or 12.3(14)T.

    > ...and more flash and dram I guess...
    >
    > > For PPPoE you'll need the PLUS feature set.

    > Is at least pppoe available in any IOS Version where I don't have to upgrade
    > any hardware? I mean, its a rather old machine...
    >
    > Cheers,

    No. It appears.

    You will need an ADSL WIC and it looks like
    you need extra RAM and FLASH.
    This is in addition to the ISDN WIC.

    The min quoted for ADSL support is
    16M Flash
    64M RDRAM

    Your best idea might be to look on ebay for a suitable router.

    2611 will probably have trouble keeping up with
    an 8M dsl too.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-2650-ROUT...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

    Everything here except ADSL WIC.

    I have no knowledge of this seller and I am not
    recommending this purchase.
    bod43, Jun 22, 2009
  5. bod43 schrieb:
    > No. It appears.

    Bummer...

    > You will need an ADSL WIC and it looks like

    Do I? I just guessed I could also use an ADSL Bridge on one of the
    ethernet ports.

    > you need extra RAM and FLASH.
    > This is in addition to the ISDN WIC.
    >
    > The min quoted for ADSL support is
    > 16M Flash
    > 64M RDRAM

    Maybe I'll try to get those on ebay somewhere...

    > Your best idea might be to look on ebay for a suitable router.

    Eer.. no.. I wanted to use *this* router for something useful and
    because I got a third 1 mbit DSL account where I simply look for a pppoe
    capable router to feed it into the main pfsense box.
    So I thought ye'goode olde 2611 would do the trick just fine since I
    don't expect really high performance...

    > 2611 will probably have trouble keeping up with
    > an 8M dsl too.

    I thought 10 MBit wouldn't be a problem with this kind of cisco?

    Does anyone know the original spare part numbers for cisco flash and dram?

    thanks!

    cheers,

    Uli
    Ulrich Gierschner, Jun 22, 2009
  6. Ulrich Gierschner <> writes:
    >> You will need an ADSL WIC and it looks like

    >Do I? I just guessed I could also use an ADSL Bridge on one of the
    >ethernet ports.

    That would work. I've done that sort of test.

    >> you need extra RAM and FLASH.
    >> This is in addition to the ISDN WIC.
    >>
    >> The min quoted for ADSL support is
    >> 16M Flash
    >> 64M RDRAM

    >Maybe I'll try to get those on ebay somewhere...

    eBay is sometime pricey. Someplace like MemoryX.net has things for
    somewhat decent costs. Look there too, or other memory vendors like
    Crucial, as well as eBay.

    >Eer.. no.. I wanted to use *this* router for something useful and
    >because I got a third 1 mbit DSL account where I simply look for a pppoe
    >capable router to feed it into the main pfsense box.
    >So I thought ye'goode olde 2611 would do the trick just fine since I
    >don't expect really high performance...

    >> 2611 will probably have trouble keeping up with
    >> an 8M dsl too.

    >I thought 10 MBit wouldn't be a problem with this kind of cisco?

    Not on a 2611. This router was designed to drive a T1 or two.
    Cisco low-end routers are *really* slow throughput. You are buying
    cisco for the name and the feature set and the reliability.
    NOT for the throughput of them. :(

    A stock 2611 I usually measure out at about 5-6Mbps throughput..

    >Does anyone know the original spare part numbers for cisco flash and dram?

    Check the MemoryX.net site. They'll list part #s, pictures, config
    options, diagrams, etc. Its a simple format anyway, like MEM-2600-64M or so.
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 22, 2009
  7. bod43 Guest

    On 22 June, 16:59, Ulrich Gierschner <> wrote:
    > bod43 schrieb:
    >
    > > No.    It appears.

    > Bummer...
    >
    > Eer.. no.. I wanted to use *this* router for something useful

    Well, if you get cold at night you could plug it in and take
    it to bed with you. I think it will quite likely keep you
    warm 'n' toasty as long as you have some suitable insulation.

    Or maybe you have a *very* small boat that needs an anchor?

    Alternatively, if you have an old car with holes in the floor,
    you might be able to recycle the sheet metal and weld it
    into the car.

    Otherwise, you are out of luck. It is approximately
    useless as a router.

    PS
    I forgot to mention, you might consider using it as a
    paperweight. Or a club.
    bod43, Jun 23, 2009
  8. Uli Link Guest

    bod43 schrieb:

    > Or maybe you have a *very* small boat that needs an anchor?
    >
    > Alternatively, if you have an old car with holes in the floor,
    > you might be able to recycle the sheet metal and weld it
    > into the car.
    >
    > Otherwise, you are out of luck. It is approximately
    > useless as a router.
    >
    > PS
    > I forgot to mention, you might consider using it as a
    > paperweight. Or a club.

    With a cheap NM-8A/S or at least 2 WIC-2T it may still be usefull as a
    nice reverse telnet console server.

    --
    ULi
    Uli Link, Jun 23, 2009
  9. bod43 Guest

    On 23 June, 18:35, Uli Link <> wrote:
    > bod43 schrieb:
    >

    > > Or maybe you have a *very* small boat that needs an anchor?

    > > Alternatively, if you have an old car with holes in the floor,
    > > you might be able to recycle the sheet metal and weld it
    > > into the car.

    > > Otherwise, you are out of luck. It is approximately
    > > useless as a router.

    > > PS
    > > I forgot to mention, you might consider using it as a
    > > paperweight. Or a club.

    > With a cheap NM-8A/S or at least 2 WIC-2T it may still be usefull as a
    > nice reverse telnet console server.

    This is correct.

    Please accept my apologies - I had a couple of beers and
    went a bit far with the post.

    On reflection I don't think it would make a very good club.

    :)
    bod43, Jun 25, 2009
  10. Bob Vaughan Guest

    In article <4a411273$0$29136$7120d902@karibu>,
    Uli Link <> wrote:

    >With a cheap NM-8A/S or at least 2 WIC-2T it may still be usefull as a
    >nice reverse telnet console server.

    Not WIC-2T's.. You want WIC-2A/S's. The WIC-2T's are sync only.

    You could also use a NM-4A/S.

    >--
    >ULi

    Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
    | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
    -- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
    Bob Vaughan, Jun 27, 2009
  11. Uli Link Guest

    Bob Vaughan schrieb:
    > Not WIC-2T's.. You want WIC-2A/S's. The WIC-2T's are sync only.

    Nope, you can switch every port from default sync mode to async.
    I use an else obsolete 1720 with 2 WIC-2T and it works nice.
    The WIC-2A/S are cheaper when bought new, but on ePay things are
    different, and I don't think that the terms of Cisco warranties and
    Smartnet apply on a 2611 which recently changed it's owner.
    It works as is or ends up in the recycling bin or doorstopper.

    --
    ULi
    Uli Link, Jun 27, 2009
  12. bod43 schrieb:

    > Or maybe you have a *very* small boat that needs an anchor?

    Ey! It's a nice piece of hardware...

    > Alternatively, if you have an old car with holes in the floor,
    > you might be able to recycle the sheet metal and weld it
    > into the car.

    I just git the ram and flash now its gonna do some nat routing for the 1
    Mbit ADSL line...;-)

    Cheers,

    Uli

    I hate to throw hardware away...
    Ulrich Gierschner, Jun 29, 2009
  13. Gary Guest

    Uli Link wrote:
    > different, and I don't think that the terms of Cisco warranties and
    > Smartnet apply on a 2611 which recently changed it's owner.

    Smartnet is not available for products past 12 months of end-of-sale date:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_end-of-life_policy.html

    The OP might want to look at the 800 or 1800 series for a modern
    equivalent.

    -Gary
    Gary, Jun 29, 2009