Cisco 2611 and BGP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Larry Smith, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    Ok, I have my nomex on...
    I have a customer with a Cisco 2611, 32meg
    memory, 16mb flash, one T1 W1C, one ADSL W1C.

    Customer wants to multi-home using two frame
    connections (one frame-T1, two dlci, two remote
    locations) and the dsl as a "backup" to the frame.

    Remote routers are all Cisco 7206vxr.

    Question I have, is can (and hopefully suggestions
    on how best) this router support BGP with only a
    default route from each remote (the two frame end
    points and the DSL endpoint 7206s). Something like
    the:
    ip prefix-list ABC seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0
    shown in the cisco docs under sample configs for
    multihoming where only a default route is required
    (not full or even partial tables)...

    Thanks,

    Larry Smith
    lesmith (at) ecsis.net

    Larry Smith, Apr 26, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Larry Smith <> wrote:
    >Ok, I have my nomex on...
    >I have a customer with a Cisco 2611, 32meg
    >memory, 16mb flash, one T1 W1C, one ADSL W1C.
    >
    >Customer wants to multi-home using two frame
    >connections (one frame-T1, two dlci, two remote
    >locations) and the dsl as a "backup" to the frame.
    >
    >Remote routers are all Cisco 7206vxr.
    >
    >Question I have, is can (and hopefully suggestions
    >on how best) this router support BGP with only a
    >default route from each remote (the two frame end
    >points and the DSL endpoint 7206s). Something like
    >the:
    > ip prefix-list ABC seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0
    >shown in the cisco docs under sample configs for
    >multihoming where only a default route is required
    >(not full or even partial tables)...
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Larry Smith
    >lesmith (at) ecsis.net

    Yes, yes, and yes.

    Now for the challenges:

    * Load balancing is not automatic between the two DLCI's. You'll
    need to do some work. Google is your friend, as is the FAQ.

    * The chances of losing one DLCI and not the other is a lot lower
    than logic would say it should be.

    * The DSL backup will be tricky, but not impossible if you need to
    NAT to use it.

    * The DSL backup will be impossible if you need to use NAT on both
    frame and DSL.

    * 26xx IOS 12.3 base IP does NOT support BGP. You will need to
    downgrade to IOS 12.2 or upgrade to as 12.3 feature set which
    does include BGP.

    * This does not protect you from a frame link with high BER. But
    then, nothing does :-(

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Apr 26, 2005

  3. "Larry Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, I have my nomex on...
    > I have a customer with a Cisco 2611, 32meg
    > memory, 16mb flash, one T1 W1C, one ADSL W1C.
    >
    > Customer wants to multi-home using two frame
    > connections (one frame-T1, two dlci, two remote
    > locations) and the dsl as a "backup" to the frame.
    >
    > Remote routers are all Cisco 7206vxr.
    >
    > Question I have, is can (and hopefully suggestions
    > on how best) this router support BGP with only a
    > default route from each remote (the two frame end
    > points and the DSL endpoint 7206s). Something like
    > the:
    > ip prefix-list ABC seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0
    > shown in the cisco docs under sample configs for
    > multihoming where only a default route is required
    > (not full or even partial tables)...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Larry Smith
    > lesmith (at) ecsis.net

    Larry,

    Why not build a VPN with a higher metric route over the DSL line for your
    backup link. This way either side can initiate the connection and you don't
    have to deal with the hassles of BGP.

    -Richard

    Richard Graves, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    Richard Graves wrote:

    > "Larry Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, I have my nomex on...
    >> I have a customer with a Cisco 2611, 32meg
    >> memory, 16mb flash, one T1 W1C, one ADSL W1C.
    >>
    >> Customer wants to multi-home using two frame
    >> connections (one frame-T1, two dlci, two remote
    >> locations) and the dsl as a "backup" to the frame.
    >>
    >> Remote routers are all Cisco 7206vxr.
    >>
    >> Question I have, is can (and hopefully suggestions
    >> on how best) this router support BGP with only a
    >> default route from each remote (the two frame end
    >> points and the DSL endpoint 7206s). Something like
    >> the:
    >> ip prefix-list ABC seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0
    >> shown in the cisco docs under sample configs for
    >> multihoming where only a default route is required
    >> (not full or even partial tables)...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Larry Smith
    >> lesmith (at) ecsis.net
    >>

    > Larry,
    >
    > Why not build a VPN with a higher metric route over the DSL line for your
    > backup link. This way either side can initiate the connection and you
    > don't have to deal with the hassles of BGP.
    >
    > -Richard

    Richard,

    Yes, that will work for the DSL backup, but what about
    the two frames (that connect to different cities/routers)?

    Larry Smith
    lesmith (at) ecsis.net

    Larry Smith, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    Vincent C Jones wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Larry Smith <> wrote:
    >>Ok, I have my nomex on...
    >>I have a customer with a Cisco 2611, 32meg
    >>memory, 16mb flash, one T1 W1C, one ADSL W1C.
    >>
    >>Customer wants to multi-home using two frame
    >>connections (one frame-T1, two dlci, two remote
    >>locations) and the dsl as a "backup" to the frame.
    >>
    >>Remote routers are all Cisco 7206vxr.
    >>
    >>Question I have, is can (and hopefully suggestions
    >>on how best) this router support BGP with only a
    >>default route from each remote (the two frame end
    >>points and the DSL endpoint 7206s). Something like
    >>the:
    >> ip prefix-list ABC seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0
    >>shown in the cisco docs under sample configs for
    >>multihoming where only a default route is required
    >>(not full or even partial tables)...
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Larry Smith
    >>lesmith (at) ecsis.net

    > Yes, yes, and yes.
    >
    > Now for the challenges:
    >
    > * Load balancing is not automatic between the two DLCI's. You'll
    > need to do some work. Google is your friend, as is the FAQ.
    >
    > * The chances of losing one DLCI and not the other is a lot lower
    > than logic would say it should be.
    >
    > * The DSL backup will be tricky, but not impossible if you need to
    > NAT to use it.
    >
    > * The DSL backup will be impossible if you need to use NAT on both
    > frame and DSL.
    >
    > * 26xx IOS 12.3 base IP does NOT support BGP. You will need to
    > downgrade to IOS 12.2 or upgrade to as 12.3 feature set which
    > does include BGP.
    >
    > * This does not protect you from a frame link with high BER. But
    > then, nothing does :-(
    >
    > Good luck and have fun!

    Thanks,

    As for challenges, NAT is not requried (or desired)
    on any; current IOS does support BGP (at least the
    commands are there) and load balancing is not required.
    Plan old routing.

    EG: DLCI to City A as primary
    DLCI to City B as secondary
    DSL as frame "fail-over".

    Larry Smith
    lesmith (at) ecsis.net

    Larry Smith, Apr 27, 2005
  6. "Larry Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Richard Graves wrote:
    >> Larry,
    >>
    >> Why not build a VPN with a higher metric route over the DSL line for your
    >> backup link. This way either side can initiate the connection and you
    >> don't have to deal with the hassles of BGP.
    >>
    >> -Richard

    > Richard,
    >
    > Yes, that will work for the DSL backup, but what about
    > the two frames (that connect to different cities/routers)?
    >
    > Larry Smith
    > lesmith (at) ecsis.net

    Larry,

    You want to load balance/fail-over the two PVCs? You could build a PPP
    multilink group to accomplish this, and its still simplier than using BGP,
    in my opinion.

    -Richard

    Richard Graves, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    Richard Graves wrote:

    > "Larry Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> Richard Graves wrote:
    >>> Larry,
    >>>
    >>> Why not build a VPN with a higher metric route over the DSL line for
    >>> your
    >>> backup link. This way either side can initiate the connection and you
    >>> don't have to deal with the hassles of BGP.
    >>>
    >>> -Richard

    >> Richard,
    >>
    >> Yes, that will work for the DSL backup, but what about
    >> the two frames (that connect to different cities/routers)?
    >>
    >> Larry Smith
    >> lesmith (at) ecsis.net

    > Larry,
    >
    > You want to load balance/fail-over the two PVCs? You could build a PPP
    > multilink group to accomplish this, and its still simplier than using BGP,
    > in my opinion.
    >
    > -Richard

    Richard,

    As mentioned earlier in this thread, load balancing

    Larry Smith, Apr 27, 2005