Cisco 2600xm can't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by pgmarcus, Oct 31, 2008.

  1. pgmarcus

    pgmarcus

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Please help attached please find my running config. I can ping from the router or pc to the telco router, however I can't ping anything outward using either the http address or the ip address of different domains. I can ping inward to all devices on my private LAN. My pc browser doesn't work and tcpip is configured with the a static ip 10.40.54.48 netmask 255.0.0.0 gateway 10.40.54.5 the Fastethernet interface, and my DSN servers are what the telco gave me. My serial line is up and the line protocol is up. This is a full t1 for internet access. Thank is advance for your help

    Current configuration : 947 bytes
    !
    version 12.3
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Router
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker
    !
    enable password xxxxxxxx
    !
    no aaa new-model
    !
    resource policy
    !
    no network-clock-participate slot 1
    no network-clock-participate wic 0
    ip subnet-zero
    ip cef!
    !
    no ip dhcp use vrf connected!
    !
    no ftp-server write-enable!!
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 10.40.54.5 255.0.0.0 (private network) static ip
    ip nat inside
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    interface Serial0/0
    ip address bbb.bbb.bb.bB 255.255.255.252 (Assigned by telco)
    ip nat outside
    no dce-terminal-timing-enable
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 bbb.bbb.bb.bC (Telco router)
    !
    no ip http server
    ip nat pool bbb.bbb.bb.bB bbb.bbb.bb.bB netmask 255.255.255.252
    ip nat inside source list 1 pool mypool overload
    !
    access-list 1 permit any
    !
    control-plane!
    !
    line con 0
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    password xxxxxx
    login
    !
    !end

    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
    pgmarcus, Oct 31, 2008

  2. pgmarcus

    sdunn96

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    34
    Just looking over your config briefly.

    1) Did you issue the "No shut" command for bother interfaces?

    2) did you set the speed and duplex for the interfaces, don't leave them to auto?

    sdunn96, Oct 31, 2008

  3. pgmarcus

    sdunn96

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    34
    You configured your PC w/ 10.40.54.5??

    Hmm....looks like you configured your inside interface of the router w/ this also.....can't do that.

    Need to have different IPs.

    sdunn96, Oct 31, 2008
  4. pgmarcus

    sdunn96

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    34
    There is a program call config maker, made by cisco.
    cmaker_"version Number".exe is the name of it.....

    I think you can use him w/ 2600's

    He can talk w/ him via TCP/IP or Console connection....

    nice program, and gives you a gui and view of the network you are trying to set up.

    sdunn96, Oct 31, 2008
  5. pgmarcus

    sdunn96

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    34
    Other things to note.

    When you ping an address.....it uses the interface that is in that network to ping from.

    So if you ping your telco's gateway, then the Outside interface (the one w/ the IP given from your telco) will be the one to ping.

    Now if you just say router# ping
    then it will list some options....one of the options is a yes/no question for "Advanced" options, say yes to him and you can tell the router to ping from the inside interface, the one you assigned 10.xx.xx.xx too.

    Also of another note, some websites you ping, may not return a response, a lot of sites turn that feature off....

    I had a working NAT config at one time, but I will have to look for it....
    You may need to set a default route up.....for it to go through the outside interface.
    On top of the NAT config.

    sdunn96, Oct 31, 2008
  6. pgmarcus

    sdunn96

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    34
    sdunn96, Oct 31, 2008
  7. pgmarcus

    sdunn96

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    34
  8. pgmarcus

    Bishop

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Very simple way to get this working is to configure the interface with the command: (IP address dhcp) under the interface. You can just hook up the modem to a wireless router then run dhcp. Meaning that you will hook up a wireless router in between your modem and cisco router just as most home are set up. Then just use the command listed about to gain an ip address. Giving you wireless access also! BAM! Done

    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
    Bishop, Oct 31, 2008