    BGP-based T1's (roughly 4.5Mbps). I'm only seeing 44KB/sec uploads and
    100KB/sec downloads night and day. I was curious what other people had
    found. Thanks
    SPAMMERSAREMORONS, Dec 3, 2005

  2. It all depends on what are you downloading and uploading. If you are
    connected directly to your router (for example, T1 between two offices),
    then you could get about 140-150Kbytes/sec (1.5MBit divided by 8 Bits, minus
    10-20% administrative overhead (TCP/IP headers, etc.)

    If you are talking about Internet download/upload, then it could be anything
    from 0.0001 Bytes/sec to 150Kbytes per second, since you are going through
    shared media. For example, you are downloading something out of the web.
    That company has one T1, and if you are alone, who downloads at this time,
    then you could get 150KBytes/sec. But if there are 10 people, who download
    at this particular time, then everybody gets 15KBytes/second, and so on.

    Good luck,

    Mike
    www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

    CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com, Dec 4, 2005

  3. SPAMMERSAREMORONS

    Guest

    > I was curious what FTP speeds we should expect with a single T1 or the
    > BGP-based T1's (roughly 4.5Mbps). I'm only seeing 44KB/sec uploads and
    > 0KB/sec downloads night and day. I was curious what other people had
    > found. Thanks

    There are many issues here.

    Some sites limit the bandwidth per user.
    What is the round trip time between the sites?
    What are the TCP window sizes.
    What is the error rate on the link.

    I am on a 100Mbps Internet link and I see 400K Bytes/sec
    download from for example Cisco. i.e. 4Mbps.

    This does not surprise me at all.
    , Dec 5, 2005
  4. Intead of one T1 we have three using BGP. Based on that, I've see 450KB/sec
    on web-based downloads that jive with the formula: 4632 / 8 = 579.00 -
    115.80 (20%) = 463.20.
    4632 * 8 = 3 T1's at 1.544Mbps.

    The twist here is that FTP speeds can do no better than 44Kbps (Uploads) and
    104Kbps (Downloads) night or day. They can even plummet to 4Kbps during busy
    periods (which I can understand). It just seems that either FTP speeds are
    capped with our BGP setup.

    SPAMMERSAREMORONS, Dec 5, 2005
  5. SPAMMERSAREMORONS

    Hansang Bae Guest

    SPAMMERSAREMORONS wrote:

    > Intead of one T1 we have three using BGP. Based on that, I've see
    > 450KB/sec on web-based downloads that jive with the formula: 4632 / 8
    > = 579.00 - 115.80 (20%) = 463.20. 4632 * 8 = 3 T1's at 1.544Mbps.
    >
    > The twist here is that FTP speeds can do no better than 44Kbps
    > (Uploads) and 104Kbps (Downloads) night or day. They can even plummet
    > to 4Kbps during busy periods (which I can understand). It just seems
    > that either FTP speeds are capped with our BGP setup.

    BGP has nothing whatever to do with your setup. What matters is
    whether you are mux'ing the circuits or not (hardware IMUX or MLPPP).
    Based on the fact that you are getting ~4Mbps thoughput, it looks like
    you are mux'ing them together (or per packet load balancing)

    As to your ftp issue, it's entirely possible that someone is
    rate-limiting your ftp jobs or your ftp client is horribly inefficient.
    Remember that tcp typically needs a window size == 2* BW*DELAY to fill
    the pipes.

    --

    hsb

    Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not be able to
    Hansang Bae, Dec 6, 2005