cisco 2501 help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Tom Wu, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Tom Wu

    Tom Wu Guest

    I HAVE 2 CISCO 2501

    ROUTER A:

    e0 ip address is 192.168.2.8

    s0 ip address is 192.168.10.2

    s0 bandwidth set 56

    clock rate 56000

    gateway last resort 192.168.2.2 to network 0.0.0.0

    ROUTER B:

    e0 ip address is 192.168.4.1

    s0 ip address is 192.10.10.1

    gateway last resort 192.168.2.2 to network 0.0.0.0

    ip address 192.168.2.2 is gateway to SMC CABLE ROUTER TO INTERNET.

    Router A cable DCE attached to s0 and DTE attached to ROUTER B s0

    both routers I use RIP version 2

    Router A I can ping to yahoo.com and I can ping to network 192.168.4.0

    Router B I cannot ping to yahoo.com and I can ping to network 192.168.2.0

    Do you know why I cannot ping to yahoo.com in ROUTER B?

    thanks
    Tom Wu, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Tom Wu

    Joe Guest

    My guess would be that RIP does not know your internet sites (and it
    shouldn't) so it can't route to it.. Your gateway of last resort is for
    Router A,Router B doesn't get it in its table by way RIP.
    I have done this type of thing using EIGRP and did a reditribute static on
    Router A in the EIGRP process to get Router B to learn of a gateway of last
    resort on router A. Couldn't get it to work with OSPF though, Must be the
    Link State vs. Vector thing

    Joe, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Tom Wu

    Tom Wu Guest

    Thank you Joe,
    What if I use static route, disable RIP.

    Do you think it wil work?
    thanks

    Tom Wu, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Tom Wu

    Joe Guest

    If you use static you have complete control, the only problem is, it doesn't
    scale well, however two routers (three with SMC) should not be a problem.

    Have Router B use serial 0 of Router A as gateway of last resort (or SMC),
    and have Router A use the SMC as GW of last resort. Then make sure SMC has
    a static to 192.168.4.0 with ethernet 0 of Router A as next hop. Then make
    sure Router A has a static to 192.168.4.0 with nexthop as serial of Router
    B.

    (just a note, the serial of Router A and the serial of Router B should be in
    the same subnet , was that a typo?)
    (as well, clock rate can go up to 4000000)

    Try that

    Joe, Nov 10, 2003