    something to that effect. So one sees the full 16 MB upgrade but the other
    only 14 Mb. Any suggestions? Is this something I should worry about? Only
    for home use, study.

    Lowell, Nov 3, 2003

  2. In article <lXApb.2348$>,
    Lowell <> wrote:
    >I just purchased some 16 MB simms for my Cisco 2501's and all looks pretty
    >good except one registers with 16348 of mem and the other only 14345 or
    >something to that effect. So one sees the full 16 MB upgrade but the other
    >only 14 Mb. Any suggestions? Is this something I should worry about? Only
    >for home use, study.

    25xx routers reserve a portion of memory for I/O buffers and report the
    two memory allocations separately as 16348/2084 or 14345/2039. In the
    former case, you have an older 2501 with an additional 2MB of RAM on the
    mainboard (when the 25xx first came out, 2M of RAM was more than
    sufficient to support the IOS!).

    As part of your home study, learn to search CCO and find a full
    explanation of all the entries in a "show version."

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Lowell

    Lowell Guest

    Thanks for your insight. really appreciate it. Will tale your advice for
    "show version". Have a good day.

    Lowell, Nov 5, 2003