    It has two ethernet interfaces, by the way. I just don't know if on
    the one interface if there's something special to configure because of
    the DSL service.

    nick, Mar 25, 2008

  2. nick

    Merv Guest

    On Mar 25, 6:33 pm, nick <> wrote:
    > I have a Cisco 2500 series router. This may a VERY STUPID question,
    > but is it possible to set this up to act as my DSL router? I have a
    > Westell that came with the Bellsouth service. What I would like to do
    > is pretend this is a client, and we're using the 2500 series as the
    > only router.
    >
    > It has two ethernet interfaces, by the way. I just don't know if on
    > the one interface if there's something special to configure because of
    > the DSL service.

    Perhaps

    Post the output of show version from the Cisco router

    What is the model number of the Westell modem ?

    If you connect a Windows PC to the Westell modem and configure the PC
    for PPPOE, can you connect to the Internet ?

    Merv, Mar 25, 2008

  3. nick <> writes:
    >I have a Cisco 2500 series router. This may a VERY STUPID question,
    >but is it possible to set this up to act as my DSL router? I have a
    >Westell that came with the Bellsouth service. What I would like to do
    >is pretend this is a client, and we're using the 2500 series as the
    >only router.

    >It has two ethernet interfaces, by the way. I just don't know if on
    >the one interface if there's something special to configure because of
    >the DSL service.

    So, you must have a 2514. But anyway, you do realize the 25xx was designed
    to basicly drive a T1 and a half or so? I don't know what speed DSL
    you have, but it could very well slow your DSL down by having it in
    there if you have more than T1 speeds.

    It depends quite a bit on what your Westell device actually is. Are you
    bridged? PPPoE? Routed? PPPoA?

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 26, 2008
  4. nick

    Thrill5 Guest

    I don't think you can get an image for the 2500 series that does PPoE. They
    have been EoL (end-of-life) for at least 8 years.

    Thrill5, Mar 26, 2008
  5. nick

    nick Guest

    On Mar 25, 11:08 pm, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > I don't think you can get an image for the 2500 series that does PPoE.  They
    > have been EoL (end-of-life) for at least 8 years.
    >
    > "Doug McIntyre" <> wrote in message

    > > nick <> writes:
    > >>I have a Cisco 2500 series router. This may a VERY STUPID question,
    > >>but is it possible to set this up to act as my DSL router? I have a
    > >>Westell that came with the Bellsouth service. What I would like to do
    > >>is pretend this is a client, and we're using the 2500 series as the
    > >>only router.

    > >>It has two ethernet interfaces, by the way. I just don't know if on
    > >>the one interface if there's something special to configure because of
    > >>the DSL service.

    > > So, you must have a 2514. But anyway, you do realize the 25xx was designed
    > > to basicly drive a T1 and a half or so? I don't know what speed DSL
    > > you have, but it could very well slow your DSL down by having it in
    > > there if you have more than T1 speeds.

    > > It depends quite a bit on what your Westell device actually is. Are you
    > > bridged? PPPoE? Routed? PPPoA?- Hide quoted text -

    It seems as if the Westell acts as a router and runs DHCP. When I go
    to the connection configuration section I see the following:

    VPI / VCI 8/35
    Protocol PPPoE Bridge Ethernet

    User ID:
    Password Provided by your ISP.
    Confirm Password

    Static IP Address Primary DNS Server
    IP Gateway Secondary DNS Server

    Connection Type: On Demand

    The Cisco router is a 2514. Does this mean I can't use it?

    nick, Mar 26, 2008
  6. nick

    Merv Guest

    Please post:

    1. The exact model number of the Westell DSL modem that you have

    2. The output of show version from the Cisco 2514.

    The show version command will display amongst other things the amount
    of RAM memory and the amount of flash memory that your router has.

    This info is reuqired to tell if the 2514 you have has sufficient
    memory for
    the latest versions of IOS that are available for the 2500 series of
    routers

    The Cisco web site shows that 12.3 images are available for 2500
    series routers
    and those images are current enough that they MAY have support for
    PPPOE
    which is required to connect to your ISP.

    Merv, Mar 26, 2008