Cisco 2500 RAM

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by David Jones, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    I want to make sure I have this correct before i go purchasing any equipment
    to begin studying my CCNA. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to computers
    and such, but seeing as I am GREEN when it comes to Routers and such, I
    don't want to make an expensive mistake.

    If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM, could
    I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
    house? I know Cisco's official documantation, found at
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a0080094e93.shtml
    says

    "Physically, all the boards have one single inline memory module (SIMM) slot
    (72-pin, 70 ns)."

    So based on that, would it be possible to install a 60 ns 72-pin SIMM from
    my old Pentium 200 I have in a closet? I would think so because RAM will
    typically run slower than it's max speed if it is installed in a slower
    machine or with slower RAM. My concern here is that I'm thinking logically,
    and experience has dictated that that's not always the best method. :)

    Also, is there a generic equivalent to the two 80-pin 120 ns FLash SIMMs?

    Thanks ~ David
    David Jones, Oct 15, 2003

  2. "David Jones" <> writes:
    >If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM, could
    >I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
    >house?

    Possibly, it should work. The 16M SIMMs aren't too picky, but the 8M are.
    Memory speeds on this router shouldn't be too much of an issue, its
    pretty old and slow.

    >Also, is there a generic equivalent to the two 80-pin 120 ns FLash SIMMs?

    Not that you'll find in your PC, but there's plenty of memory vendors
    around that sell fairly decently priced memory for Cisco
    routers. Crucial has a section for Cisco, but they probably don't
    carry anything anymore for the 2500's. Memoryx has both DRAM and Flash
    for the 2500 online at reasonable rates.

    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    Doug McIntyre, Oct 15, 2003

  3. David Jones

    Verton Harro Guest

    David,

    > If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM, could
    > I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
    > house?

    > Also, is there a generic equivalent to the two 80-pin 120 ns FLash SIMMs?

    We have well over a hunderd 25xx routers still in operation (he, if it ain't broke... :).

    I bought both DRAM and Flash online at http://www.anthonypanda.com. Excellent service, quick
    delivery. But check your kit first. There are different types of Flash modules, some need a
    minimum bootstap version...
    --

    Kind regards,
    Harro Verton

    Infrastructure Architect
    Ministrie of the Flemish Community
    Brussels, Belgium
    Verton Harro, Oct 15, 2003
  4. "David Jones" <> wrote in message
    > I want to make sure I have this correct before i go purchasing any

    equipment
    > to begin studying my CCNA. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to

    computers
    > and such, but seeing as I am GREEN when it comes to Routers and such, I
    > don't want to make an expensive mistake.
    >
    > If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM,

    could
    > I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
    > house?

    yes, if it's NON-Parity, and NON-EDO. EDO ram will not work in this router.
    Most
    Pentium's above 133Mhz could use either EDO or regular "FPM". 486's of
    course used parity
    ram. Most old macintoshes used non parity non-edo ram.

    Ted
    Ted Mittelstaedt, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Hi,

    Auction # 3052313026 on eBay is for 16 MB DRAM for Cisco 2500s and it's
    $11.99 on "Buy It Now".

    I've ordered 64MB for my 4700s on ebay...cost me $25.

    Lars

    Spam Me No More, Oct 16, 2003
  6. David Jones

    SD Guest

    even then, the boot roms can be upgraded as well...

    SD, Oct 17, 2003