Cisco 1841 xDSL backup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JanKost, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. JanKost

    JanKost Guest

    Hi,

    I'm having a problem with a Cisco 1841.
    I have 2 ATM interfaces, ATM 0/0/0 is the primary interface. ATM 0/1/0
    is the backup interface.
    Right now ATM 0/1/0 is idle. When ATM 0/0/0 goes down, ATM 0/1/0 is
    brought up. So far so good.

    The problem is have, is that the Dialer0 Interface (attached to ATM
    0/0/0) doesn't go down when ATM 0/0/0 goes down.
    Therefor, when ATM0 0/1/0 is brought up, it will keep sending traffic
    through Dialer0, but the ATM interface of that dialer is down.
    When i enter a static route 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer1', it will
    do '60/40'.

    Does anyone have solution to my problems?

    Thanx!

    Greetings,

    Jan Kost
    JanKost, Nov 1, 2006

  2. "JanKost" <> writes:
    >I'm having a problem with a Cisco 1841.
    >I have 2 ATM interfaces, ATM 0/0/0 is the primary interface. ATM 0/1/0
    >is the backup interface.
    >Right now ATM 0/1/0 is idle. When ATM 0/0/0 goes down, ATM 0/1/0 is
    >brought up. So far so good.

    >The problem is have, is that the Dialer0 Interface (attached to ATM
    >0/0/0) doesn't go down when ATM 0/0/0 goes down.
    >Therefor, when ATM0 0/1/0 is brought up, it will keep sending traffic
    >through Dialer0, but the ATM interface of that dialer is down.
    >When i enter a static route 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer1', it will
    >do '60/40'.

    >Does anyone have solution to my problems?

    Hmm, I just posted about my experiences with ADSL on cisco.

    I've tried to do this years ago, and after much head-banging, and some
    TAC work, figured that Cisco never implemented any dial-on-demand
    functions into anything dealing with ADSL. Not sure if they just
    copied the stuff from like the BRI and didn't implement any of the
    dial-on-demand functions or whatnot.

    Cisco (and every other vendor I've seen dealing with ADSL, even on
    enterprise gear like this) treat ADSL links as a virtual leased-line,
    always on.

    You'll probably have to setup router-tracking objects to do what you want.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 1, 2006