    in other 1841 routers, so I know the CF, nor the IOS is to blame.

    Has anybody ever seen this or know what the problem is?

    , Dec 5, 2008

  2. bod43 Guest

    On 5 Dec, 18:13, wrote:
    > I have 2 different 1841 routers that are unable to boot when the CF
    > card is inserted.  Both routers hang after this output:
    >
    > System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    > Technical Support:http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    > Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    > PLD version 0x10
    > GIO ASIC version 0x127
    >
    > It never gets beyond that line.  If I remove the CF, the router does
    > get to the ROMMON prompt.  I have multiple CF cards that I've tested
    > in other 1841 routers, so I know the CF, nor the IOS is to blame.
    >
    > Has anybody ever seen this or know what the problem is?

    Have you checked the config register and the
    bootvar (if it has one?)?

    Definately try booting ignoring the config since the
    config may be instructing an invalid boot file.
    configuration-register 0x2142 for the latter.
    0x2102 is the usual.

    You can get into the rommon with a break and then
    check the config register. It may be possible to
    look at the flash from rommon I forget.

    I am speculating but just possibly your rommon
    does not recognise the flash format? Check versions
    and and release notes. This is *very* unlikely.

    Worth a try just with "boot" from the rommon prompt.
    It is easier to sort out from IOS than from rommon.
    Or "boot ios-file-name".

    Just in case it assists, you can most likely
    boot the 1841 from the network. This would
    get you up with IOS and would allow
    troubleshooting from there.

    bod43, Dec 6, 2008

  3. ihopeipass Guest

    On Dec 6, 6:40 am, Ted Z wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:13:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:
    > >I have 2 different 1841 routers that are unable to boot when the CF
    > >card is inserted.  Both routers hang after this output:

    > >System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    > >Technical Support:http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    > >Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    > >PLD version 0x10
    > >GIO ASIC version 0x127

    > >It never gets beyond that line.  If I remove the CF, the router does
    > >get to the ROMMON prompt.  I have multiple CF cards that I've tested
    > >in other 1841 routers, so I know the CF, nor the IOS is to blame.

    > >Has anybody ever seen this or know what the problem is?

    > Check the ROMMON version on the outher routers that recognize the
    > card, you may need to upgrade it.
    >
    > >System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    ROMMON version is the same on all of the routers. I have tried
    multiple different config registers to no avail. the problem is, when
    the flash card is installed, the router just hangs, it doesn't respond
    to any break sqeuence. I am able to get the router up and running
    without the CF using tftpdnld -r, but when I insert the CF it locks up
    and again doesn't respond to any keys and/or break sequence. Once I
    eject the CF, the router responds normally. Looks to me like the CF
    slot is bad on this router. You guys agree?

    ihopeipass, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Thrill5 Guest

    I suspect a bad flash controller since it hangs when the card is inserted at
    boot. To verify, boot to ROMMON without flash and then xmodem an IOS
    version (the smallest one you can find!). After it boots, do a "show
    tech-support" and capture the output. Then insert a known good flash card
    and see if you see the files. If the router doesn't hang or reboot, capture
    another "show tech-support".

    Thrill5, Dec 9, 2008