    load-balancing or a back-up configuration. Does anybody have a link to this
    documentation or can anybody help me out with this? Thanks.

    -John
    John D., Aug 7, 2006

  2. John D.

    Merv Guest

    John D. wrote:
    > I've never used a Cisco 1811 before, & I haven't been able to find the right
    > link at Cisco, but I'm trying to configure the 2 WAN ports as either
    > load-balancing or a back-up configuration.

    There is nothing especially unique about the 1811 with respect to ECMP
    load balancing. You need to use eithe CEF per destination or PPP multi
    link to implement load balancing.
    Merv, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Hi John,

    Martin Heusinger, Cisco CCIE No. 5980

    Email: martin.heusinger *at* globalknowledge.de

    States previously,

    "To keep things simple you can put 2 static routes with just their
    outgoing interfaces for the same destination. This will do
    loadbalancing + failover. This may not work if you have Ethernet
    presentation as WAN link.

    Following this approach the config could look like this ( you have to
    adjust interface names and IP addresses to your environment ):

    interface Serial0
    description to ISP1
    ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252

    interface Serial1
    description to ISP2
    ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.252

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.1

    Also be advised, that this only takes care of IP routing, but NOT about
    security - in fact there are no security filters in place at all.

    Things get a lot more complicated in case you need NAT, because you do
    not have your own IP address range. So the question is:

    Do you have your own IP addresses or do you get your official IPs from
    the respective ISPs?"

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power-supply-inventory.htm
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 7, 2006
  4. John D.

    xavierk

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Can someone post a configuration sample of a failover + load-balancing configuration for the 1811, please. i´m a newbie with Cisco.

    Thanks.
    xavierk, Sep 1, 2006