Cisco 1801 for use on cable internet?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by corb, Jun 20, 2007.

  1. corb

    corb Guest

    Hi All, I'm thinking of getting a Cisco 1801 for a home lab, currently my
    Internet is provided by cable so its Ethernet presented, but I may be moving
    to ADSL in a few months time.

    The 1801 has 1 ADSL over POTS port and 1 10/100 FE WAN Ports, but is the
    Fast Ethernet WAN port configurable for what I want and not as a backup to
    the DSL wan port?

    Is the 1801 ok for my current and possible future needs?

    Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

    thanks,

    Craig
    corb, Jun 20, 2007

  2. "corb" <> writes:
    >Hi All, I'm thinking of getting a Cisco 1801 for a home lab, currently my
    >Internet is provided by cable so its Ethernet presented, but I may be moving
    >to ADSL in a few months time.

    >The 1801 has 1 ADSL over POTS port and 1 10/100 FE WAN Ports, but is the
    >Fast Ethernet WAN port configurable for what I want and not as a backup to
    >the DSL wan port?

    The 1801 really has two FastEthernet ports. One labelled "WAN" and one
    plugged into an 8-port switch for the "inside", in addition to its ADSL port.

    Cisco doesn't care what you do with the ports, they happily push
    packets which-ever way you tell it to, none of them are tied to a
    certain function other than the silkscreened name on them.

    You could run a DMZ off the "WAN" port, or do whatever you configure
    the box to do. (Although the SDM might have issues doing things not
    imagined by its creators, if you get into the CLI, you can do anything).
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 20, 2007

  3. corb

    bendsley

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    Messages:
    9
    Would something like an 871w not suit your needs?

    But yeah, like Doug said, you can do anything you want with those FE ports. The router won't care. You just need to make sure you have your setup correct for them to function like you would wish.
    bendsley, Jun 20, 2007