    would be a better way to find out what process or what user is hogging
    our bandwidth?

    Thanks!
    Brad, Apr 2, 2009

  2. Brad

    Trendkill Guest

    Re: Cisco 1800: How can I tell how much Bandwidth I am using vs. whatI have?

    On Apr 2, 12:33 pm, Brad <> wrote:
    > I a a newb at Cisco.  But what we are seeing lately is a drop off of
    > our bandwidth availability to /from the Internet.  We've basically got
    > a T1 set up.
    >
    > What I am trying to find out is the best Monitor I can use through SDM
    > to find out what is going on and why in the last 2 weeks we've been
    > brought to a screeching halt.
    >
    > In the Monitor of our main pipe to the NET I see
    > FastEthernet0, Bytes input averaging 1277989975
    > FastEthernet0, Bytes Output average  235403808
    >
    > Does that say anything to you about us capping our bandwidth?  Or what
    > would be a better way to find out what process or what user is hogging
    > our bandwidth?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Get a snmp app to poll the router. You will have to ensure you
    understand its a average, but should show you peaks/valleys. Also,
    you could enable netflow, but I've never run it on that model, so
    hopefully its a capability. Although netflow apps aren't usually
    free...so perhaps you can find a demo. Just need to configure route-
    cache flow and configure netflow to send to the collector.
    Trendkill, Apr 2, 2009

  3. Brad

    bod43 Guest

    On 2 Apr, 18:38, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Apr 2, 12:33 pm, Brad <> wrote:
    >

    > > I a a newb at Cisco.  But what we are seeing lately is a drop off of
    > > our bandwidth availability to /from the Internet.  We've basically got
    > > a T1 set up.

    > > What I am trying to find out is the best Monitor I can use through SDM
    > > to find out what is going on and why in the last 2 weeks we've been
    > > brought to a screeching halt.

    > > In the Monitor of our main pipe to the NET I see
    > > FastEthernet0, Bytes input averaging 1277989975
    > > FastEthernet0, Bytes Output average  235403808

    > > Does that say anything to you about us capping our bandwidth?  Or what
    > > would be a better way to find out what process or what user is hogging
    > > our bandwidth?

    > > Thanks!

    > Get a snmp app to poll the router.  You will have to ensure you
    > understand its a average, but should show you peaks/valleys.  Also,
    > you could enable netflow, but I've never run it on that model, so
    > hopefully its a capability.  Although netflow apps aren't usually
    > free...so perhaps you can find a demo.  Just need to configure route-
    > cache flow and configure netflow to send to the collector.- Hide quoted text -

    This is all good.

    The numbers that you have posted are not particularly
    useful since there is no associated time interval. It is also
    possible that the counters may have wrapped. Max value
    is ~4G (2 ^ 32) - 1.

    sh ver
    uptime is 12 weeks,
    If the counters have not been cleared this is how long
    they have been collecting.

    sh int ...

    txload/rxload

    ATM0 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is MPC ATMSAR (with Alcatel ADSL Module)
    MTU 4470 bytes, sub MTU 4470, BW 448 Kbit/sec, DLY 820 usec,
    reliability 255/255,

    ! txload 13/255, rxload 24/255
    ! these are relative to the *configured* bandwith parameter
    ! and not on the actual line rate.

    Along with the tx/rx load the
    input rate, output rate are an average over a configurable interval.

    Default it 5 mins and min is 30 secs. Unless there are a
    large number of interrfaces I use 30 secs as I find it most useful.

    Last input never, output 00:00:00, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1w2d
    ! Tells you when they were last cleared

    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
    0
    ! You dont want a lot of drops.

    30 second input rate 492000 bits/sec, 49 packets/sec
    30 second output rate 23000 bits/sec, 32 packets/sec
    ! This tells you what is going on now.

    8003989 packets input, 637451568 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 66 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    5075031 packets output, 560542538 bytes, 0 underruns

    ! You dont want many no buffer, throttles, errors,
    bod43, Apr 2, 2009